Chapter 19: Practice and Pacing

Luna Peri is waiting at the entrance to the ballroom. Her long legs are on display today as she sports an important and professional-looking navy blue dress that falls just above her knees. The cream heels seem to blend into the natural colour of her legs as she taps her foot to the soft music playing from the speakers in the room. In her hand, she has a clipboard, making her look more like a sexy secretary than a ruling woman. As she sees us approaching, she lowers the clipboard and fastens on her brightest smile.

"Lexi!" She greets warmly. "How is everything going with the dress?"

"It's just about done. Just needs to be altered to my height," I reply with the most honest and warm smile I can fathom. The nerves are starting to settle in and I can feel myself trying to withdraw from interaction.

"Excellent! I told you Celine is the best, and I meant it."

"Thank you, Luna," Celine replies politely.

"No need to thank someone who simply tells the truth. I'm afraid I'll have to steal Lexington from you. It's time to do a walk-through." Celine nods and affords me one last smile before disappearing back the way we came.

"So, the hallway just down here," she motions to the right, "is where you and Seb will wait. Someone will come and tell you when we are ready to start. Then, when your name is called, you will come in through here. There will be a walkway to follow, so all you have to do is follow the way to the stage." She starts walking toward the stage, which is being set up. "Don't worry, I have the stairs being set in the front so there's no awkward shifting around to get up there."

"Once you're on the stage, Michael will go over the ceremonial questions. For you they are: Do you wish to join this pack? Do you swear to protect it, cherish it, and grow with it to the best of your abilities? Do you swear to follow the leadership of this pack? And, do you relinquish any claim or status in your old pack and receive that which awaits you here?" She glances up at me from the clipboard to gage my reaction to these questions. I keep my face arranged in the most pleasant way I can, even though the last question is both challenging and pointed.

Most of these ceremonies are the same across the board with slight variations to each. You show up, make your promises, bond your blood, and then party until you're sick. Blackwing is really no different than any other pack in this sense. Loyalty is bred into the wolven DNA; your word and blood at one of these ceremonies is all you need to give to be seen as worthy.

"Sounds good to me," I smile.

"Then comes the bonding of the blood. Blackwing has a traditional black bladed dagger that will be used between you and the Alpha. Then he will hand you back to Sebastien, and say a few closing words." I nod along with her speech. "Oh! And I can't forget, it is traditional for the newbies to dance the first dance with the Alpha and their mates. We figured since you and Seb are unmated, it would be acceptable to stick you together."

"I think she'll do," Seb pipes up from behind us. "If she'll have me," he bows and offers his hand to me.

"Now?" I ask a little shocked.

"No time like the present," Peri whispers playfully to me.

I reach out and take Seb's hand and he twirls me around a few times before pulling me close to him. "I'm sorry about last night," he whispers lowly just for me to hear. I turn my head slightly and see Peri and Ark have taken to a little dancing themselves, whispering and laughing like some angelic power couple.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper back.

"Better than," he smiles into his response. "You'll see tomorrow."