Chapter 14

Miriam's POV•

I glanced at my watch ever so often just so I won't miss the time

I glanced at my watch ever so often just so I won't miss the time. I finished my studies early and Mr.Rogers was taking his wife on a date today so I won't be going to the office.

My patience was wearing thin so I just decided to get ready. Wayne picked me up carrying me to the address she provided. I reached at least 30 minutes earlier than I should have and I'm hoping it doesn't bother her in any way. I walked right in since the door was already opened and looked around not seeing anyone but then I heard voices upstairs so without thinking I headed right upstairs.

"Move" Ruelle said with a voice I could hardly decipher and someone stood at the door blocking my view of her."Or what ?" The man said in a mocking tone.

"Or I'll move you myself" I replied and he spun around holding onto her arm. "Who are you ?" an older woman asked looking at me with utter distain . "Oh I know who this is, it's rogers little pet. I'm surprised to say the least your suitor is a woman. What a turn of events " he chuckled manically.

I had no idea who he was but already he repulsed me just by his laugh and the expression on ruelle's face she felt the same way. "She isn't my suitor jedd, just let me go " she said pulling her arm from his ridgid grip. " I beg to differ,by the way she's looking at you is telling me different story. Interesting" he said deep in thought.

" I'll let you go for now. Until next time ,flower" he whispered in her ear making her shudder in disgust. Without hesitation she pulled away from him making her way over to me but was halted by who I'm assuming is her mother.

" I'm the reason you are what you are today. Don't disrespect me and anyone else in this house and if you don't give me the car back your life will be in utter misery I can promise you that " she said gripping unto her wrist and that's when I decided that's enough and walked up to ruelle pulling her behind me making the woman distasteful look fall upon me.

"Who do you think you are huh?. Stay out of other people's business,this doesn't concern you monkey !" She yelled huffing and puffing and ruelle gasp at what she just said. "She is my business and if you want to see a real monkey I suggest you look in the mirror and stop harassing your daughter . You have no idea who your dealing with " I threatened and a loud gasp escaped the woman's lips a brief moment of shock before she send her palm right towards my face but I stopped it midway making her scowl in disappointed.

"This isn't over ruelle " she said pulling her hand from mine stumping towards the stairs and a older looking man with a can of beer walked at head of the stairs . "What's happening?" He asked but she ignored him. My gaze went over to the guy named jedd to see a crazed grin on his face. "Get in the car" I instructed ruelle and she nodded giving jedd a last glance as he waved at her then she scoffed heading to the door. There we stood eyes battling in ways or fist couldn't and without as much as blinking I gave him a once over look and left.

Something about that man didn't sit right with me.

I got inside the car and told wayne to drive as I leaned back looking out the window. I felt a light touch on my hand making me turn towards her briefly looking at her hand on mine to see a red mark on her wrist. " I said I wouldn't be of any trouble and I dragged you into my family drama I'm so sorry " she apologized with glossy eyes. I suppressed my urge to turn back and slap that woman so I just took a deep breath.

" I see why you ran away but you won't have to worry about them anymore" I said and she slightly gripped my hand and I looked at her forehead admiring the way her bangs suited her face.

"What do you mean by that? " she asked lowering her head.

" I know this doesn't mean much from a stranger but you'll be fine " I assured her  and for the entire journey she held my hand which made mine sweaty and I tried prying it away but her grip was solid. I was impressed at her boldness of holding my hand , I know my intimidating appearance and attitude usually throw people off but here she was anxiously seeking some semblance of comfort.

Upon our arrival to the gate I saw Martina coming out of her car and she made her way over to us with her usual friendly smile. "Your the waitress from the cafe. What's your name again?" Martina asked almost making me regret bringing her here. " I'm ruelle " she answered with a out stretched hand. Martina gave me a bewildered look but none the less she shook ruelle's hand .

"I'm martina ,Miriam's bestie. By the way, your really pretty and I like your bangs " Martina complimented . "Thank you ,your gorgeous yourself " ruelle reciprocated with a smile. " Can I talk to you for a moment once we get inside? " Martina asked and I begrudgingly nodded with a frown.

Wayne helped ruelle with her bags and Martina dragged me into the kitchen ,her favorite part of the house.

"Why didn't you tell me someone would be living here" Martina said with a frown and folded arms. "Why does it even matter to you. You don't even live here " I quipped ." Basically I do live here miriam and you should have informed me about things like this aren't we friends?" She asked.

" Yes we are but she was in a tough spot and else was I supposed to do abandon her?. Why do you seem so worked up over this ?" I questioned my voice increasing in volume. " Your the only friend I have left so sue me for giving a shit about the decisions you make " she whisper yelled.

" Your being unreasonable " I retorted.  "How long will she be staying here ?" She asked with her hands on her hips. "Until she gets back on her feet and finds somewhere else to go" I answered.
"How long will that take ?"she asked again in a angered tone.
" I don't know " I answered through gritted teeth. " I'm going to keep my eyes on her I won't loose another friend again " she said and my brow furrowed.

We lost him a long time ago and whatever happened to him had nothing to do with either of us much less even Ruelle.

"No. You will not make her feel uncomfortable and she will be staying here whether you approve or not " I said walking away turning the corner and something collided right into chest making me look down.