Chapter 16 [Ceremony]

Start from the beginning

Bellatrix began the meeting as usual, greeting them, expecting a formal one back, and then talking about whatever passed her mind until she finally decided to open the scroll at her side, much to his aching legs' relief. "I will begin with the changes his Majesty has made to the rankings. Please remember to note that any movement within the mentioned rank will also affect your own rankings, so take this into account and remember your new rank before the next meeting so that you do not sit in the wrong place. Noble Witt." Bellatrix stared down at the woman, who surprisingly didn't back down despite the glare that was being sent towards her. "His Majesty has generously declared that a miscarriage is far more enough punishment for the mistake you committed, for not announcing your pregnancy to even his Majesty, who was intelligent enough to deduce it on his own. His Majesty was so happy that you were pregnant, that he decided not to confront you with it, and instead wait until you told him. Yet, you betrayed that goodwill by not informing anyone even after that grace period of three months. Therefore, his Majesty simply declares that you are to reflect on this and that he is deeply saddened by this loss you have experienced."

"I will ensure to do so." Her voice was hoarse but firm as she stared into Bellatrix's eyes with her own bloodshot ones, gaze unwavering despite the scorn sent towards her. Bellatrix broke their staring competition before it could even become one, meanly dismissing her fellow concubine despite the feelings she had just dragged up.

"However, there is still the case that he moved you further up in the ranks due to this pregnancy, therefore, as should be expected, you are to resume the position of Seventh Noble. Noble Rosenburg is therefore reinstated as Primary Noble, and the rest of you will shift ranks accordingly." Here, she looked towards him and the rest of the Noble's, ignoring the shocked stare of Erin, and her slightly watery eyes. "His Majesty had been considering allowing you to remain within your rank, however, with further consideration and consultation with myself and his advisors, he concluded that this would be unfair to the rest of his harem." Despite the choked noise Erin made, she looked back to her scroll.

Harry...felt conflicted. This would make him the Third Noble, and it also followed previous protocol, however, it was rather harsh to demote someone because they had suffered.

Bellatrix's lips pursed as if she had eaten something incredibly sour, hesitating to read whatever was written next. "His-" She cleared her throat, expression darkening. "His Majesty declares that Concubine Haywood is to ascend to the rank of Consort, due to the birth of their third child together, and her ascension ceremony is to be held within the next few days. She is to be known henceforth as Her Highness, Secondary Consort Haywood."

The hall burst into a cacophony of put-on happiness and calls of congratulations.

"Congratulations, Consort Haywood!"

"Congratulations, Sister!"

"Oh, what an honour!"

The rest of the concubines tittered as the woman preened regally under their attention, her usually genial and soft expression twisted with smugness.

Harry gave his own congratulations from his place, the space of three seats in between them drowning it out under the noise of the rest of the room.

By his side, Cordelia looked mutinous, and looking around, many others also had twisted expressions that weren't even veiled. Isla, her role as the Secondary Consort being usurped without prior warning, looked seconds away from tears. Rakepick, Snyde, Nott, Rosier, and, shocking him to his core, Dahlia too, was staring at Penny with hatred in their eyes.

The twisted look of utter derision on her face, directed towards a woman who was supposed to be a sister to her, clicked something in Harry's mind, and the realisation hurt.