Chapter 2 [Harry's Selection]

I have a little written up for the next chapter since I split this one up :) But I am currently ill, so it may be delayed. I edited this whilst barely lucid, so please comment on any mistakes, or any ideas on how I can expand any of the shorter scenes without adding too much ^-^ -Jam

[][][][][][][][][]

1st July 1997

" Yeah, let's go face the competition."

The inside of the palace was a beautiful place, obviously created and decorated to impress, a display of wealth so outstanding that he felt like turning tail and running out of the golden gates. The ceilings were high, scenes of wixen and creatures carved into them with stunning intricacy that could only have been done by hand, with pillars of marble holding it up that glittered with embedded gold. Harry was sure that he was gaping as they joined up with the ever-growing crowd gathered near a platform.

Their competition appeared to be an underwhelming bunch, less intimidating than he had assumed they were going to be. Sure, the Harem hopefuls gathered within the castle were all beautiful beyond the norm, which was a great boost for their chances, but none seemed to hold anything beyond that at first glance. Most of them held only an average amount of magic, some none at all [Harry had to wonder what they were thinking- didn't they know that one of the first tests was determining magic power?], when one of the requirements was to have more magic than the average wixen. So, that automatically more than halved the competition.

He had also spotted a group of witches in the back of the hall falling over each other, trying to steady themselves on shoes they had never worn before. One of the tests happened to be about elegance, so he could only assume that they wouldn't pass that round.

The only test Harry was truly worried about was the final one, where those who had passed were judged by the Emperor himself, taking into account all of their previous scores. He had no idea whether the Emperor would dismiss him outright, only having heard his name. That would disgrace his family further, but he held out hope. When they had met all those years back, Harry merely ten years old, the Emperor hadn't looked down on him with any malicious intent.

He could only hope that the years passed hadn't allowed any negative feelings to grow.

His observations were cut short when an over-the-top noise of disgust echoed through the hall, drawing all eyes over to the scene. " I can't believe they would allow anyone, but Purebloods here, why would the court let the Emperor's undiluted blood be tainted in such a way? There are even Mudbloods here, feeling entitled to our esteemed Emperor!" The voice was girlish, sounding immature even in a room filled mostly with teenagers and young adults. Harry felt compelled to turn around and felt his lips twitch up at the sight of the girl.

She had long blonde hair and startlingly sharp blue eyes that looked too frosty to be natural, obviously charmed to enhance their colour. The clothes she was wearing were of obviously fine quality, the previously simple white robe bedazzled with gems that made it look garish compared to its elegant surroundings. She looked to be younger than him: perhaps fifteen, as that was the youngest age permitted to participate. Although, he wouldn't put it past some of the participants being younger than was allowed.

The girl seemed to be having a conversation with her friends, a crowd of them tittering around her with words of agreeance. She looked smug, eyes sparkling when they landed on Dahlia, who was standing beside him.

"Miss Dahlia, it is wonderful to see you here!"

"Miss Macnair." Dahlia's tone was once again frosty, a singular, pale eyebrow raised. Harry couldn't help but chuckle, which drew the eyes of 'Miss Macnair' onto him.