33

16 : 43 pm

"Are you sure you aren't sick?"

"You've been silent the entire time at the mall-"

"Your parents are clearly worried but ofcourse they did not say anything-"

I stand at the shut door , watching him remove his wristwatch and other hand jewelry. He was right- I was completely silent throughout the little mall trip. I had no appetite or desire to be around others. My head hurt and I desperately needed answers.

"Are you okay?", he looked over his shoulder. "You refused to even hold my hand. Did I hurt you last night?", he kept asking. His tone laced with concern. "Anastasia, what's the problem?", he sighed out. I force myself to move from the spot I stood frozen. His eyes remain on me as I pull out the Polaroid from my jacket pocket and hold it out for him to take.

"What's this?", he was about to smile when his face went dull. I swear I watched the blood drain from his cheeks. Eyes slightly wide and lips parted. "Where did you get this?", he whispered in a brittle voice. I couldn't help the tears which coursed down my flustered cheeks. I had been holding them in all day.

"Anastasia-", he swallowed hard. His Adam's apple bopping up and down. "No -", I hold up a shivering hand. "No-", I repeat and he furrows his brows. "I just need to know the truth -", I sob. "Please calm down-", he grasped my shoulders but I nudge him away and step back.

"Tell me why I own a Polaroid from 3 years ago - of us", I trail off. His eyes shift to the Polaroid before he sighs , lifting his gaze back to me. "I can explain-", he whispered. "Fuck yeah. You need to explain", I raise my voice, not caring if mama heard.

"I need air-", he threw aside the Polaroid, bolting for the door. "Reece!", I rush to grab his arm as his hand wrapped around the doorknob. "What?", he nudged me away. "Why are you running away? I am the one who's kept in the dark and you're the one who needs air to think?", I pour out my rants. He was unbelievable.

"Keep your voice down-", he warned. "My voice ? What the fuck-", he blocks my mouth and I squeak against his palm as he pushed me to sit on the edge of the bed. "Reece", I push his hand away but he just gestured for me to pipe it down. "Why should I whisper?", I ask as he paced around the room , hands on his waist. "Reece", I sigh , gaze dropping to the Polaroid which now had crinkles due to him squashing it.

We looked happy.

"Anastasia-", he finally spoke. Lifting my eyes to him , he combed a hand through his hair before exhaling. "If we talk about this. It stays between us. Your parents can not know that I told you-", he crouched down , taking my hands in his. "Why?", I whisper and he shakes his head , "promise me -", he said firmly. "I promise-" , I whisper as he released my hands , standing and pacing around again.

I had never seen him nervous. He has always been the perfect example of a stable man who knew what he wanted in life.

"Reece", I frown. "Fine - okay. Just give me a second -", he continued to inhale and exhale softly.

What are they hiding ?

••
-flashback-
3½ years ago
London

"Can you tell me why we are only seeing this now?", her thunderous voice boomed , rattling the windows and bouncing off the silent walls.

Anastasia stood before her angry who waved her report card in the air. "Speak up! Why am I only seeing this now? ". Anastasia shrugged her shoulders. She didn't have a reason. She just knew that if she had given her mother the 1st terms failed report card - she'd be grounded for their 2 weeks of school holiday.