Chapter 21: Yep, made a joke

Katie
I wake up at 7:30 the next morning and start getting ready.

I put on a pair of barn jeans, (Jeans that I didn't mind getting dirty.) and a T-shirt, well it was a T-shirt till I cut it into a tank top.

It wasn't going to warm up till around noon today so I throw on a fuzzy flannel over my shirt.

I look in the mirror and my hair is a mess. Not wanting to deal with it, I put on a ball cap with 'nope' across the front and pull my hair into a low messy bun.

When I walk into the kitchen I'm greeted with the smell of eggs and bacon. "Mmm, it smells good in here, Dad," I say as I sit down at the table.

Dad brings me a plate with scrambled eggs and bacon on it.

"Is Derek up yet?" My dad asks. I shake my head because my mouth is full.

"Derek get up! You have physical therapy!" My dad yells.

I smirk. "Oh, I see why you made breakfast."

My dad points his fork at me and glares. "YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!"

"Yes sir." I mock salute.

Derek hates going to physical therapy so my Dad does things to help cheer him up.

I'm finishing eating when I hear Derek yell, "Dad, I need help!"

My dad sighs. "Okay, give me a minute, Der!" 

Dad looks at me. "Have fun today sweetie. Remember take it easy on Wyatt."

He puts his plate in the dishwasher. "I'll see you later, I have to go help Der."

I grab his arm. "Wait, Dad, I thought Tyler was staying the night."

My dad shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know, he might have changed his mind and gone to Izzy's."

When I told my dad about teaching Wyatt he thought I was crazy. We had a very heated argument, but I finally convinced him it was the only way I could ride in the endurance ride.

I hop in my truck with my dog Logan beside me. He loves coming to the barn with me.

Pulling up in Wyatt's driveway I only see his car, I glance at the clock on my phone it's 8:02.

"That's not bad Im only two minutes late."

I get out of my truck and slam the door.
"I'll be right back, Logan," I say, petting his head through the open window.

I ring Wyatt's doorbell twice so he hears it.
I see my reflection on their door.

There's a piece of bacon stuck on my cheek. I wipe it off muttering a curse word.

That's great Katie, that piece of bacon really brought the whole homeless look together.

What is taking him so long? I ring the doorbell again and pound on the door.

Would it be funny if I yelled "State police open up"?

What? I've always wanted to.

Finally, I hear him unlock the door.

When he opens the door I'm a little shocked because he's only wearing shorts, no shirt.

Hot damn. And I thought Miles Teller was hot in Top Gun Maverick. Wyatt tops him.

What the hell, Katie? Get it together!

I'm pretty sure my whole face is beet red, so I do the only thing I know to do. "I hope you're not planning on riding a horse in that." Yep, made a joke.