chapter twenty six - sticky notes

@thisuserisangry on twitter

_____

"I think I'm in love with you, Y/n."

You played Armin's words over and over again in your mind. And you had been, on a continuous loop, for the past few days.

You were completely oblivious to his feelings and you felt guilty for not knowing all this time. He is your best friend — how could you have not known that he loved you? Perhaps you were too self-absorbed, too wrapped up in your own feelings to pay attention to his. You noticed the drinking, the occasional starring but the feelings... you would never have guessed.

You've hardly spoken to Armin since his confession; apart from awkward hello's and the polite, almost required, small talk that came with living together. He'd mention buying some grocery items, or inform you that he would be spending the evening out of the house, he'd even discuss school in the simplest manner he could possibly conjure up - but that was all.

And it's been like that for a few days.

The awkward tension though, was agonizing. It somehow made the frequent quietness between you two even quieter.

You knew the two of you had to talk eventually but it seems that both of you were just postponing the conversation for as long as you could.

Still, even if the two of you talked right now, you didn't know what to say. How do you respond to a confession of feelings you don't feel - of feelings you never even thought about feeling in the first place?

Perhaps it was best to just wait and avoid talking about it at all. It seemed like that was the route you were on anyways.

If you stalled long enough, the two of you might forget this ever happened and then you can break the silence and talk again. All you wanted to do was talk to him, tell him about your day - about Erwin - hell, you even wanted to tell him that hot rods were taken out of the vending machine yesterday morning; you almost picked up your phone to do so until you reminded yourself he probably didn't want to hear from you right now...

You sighed as you stood in your kitchen, dropping one too many sugar cubes in your cup of coffee.

You felt Armin's presence walk behind you. It was accompanied by nothing but the sound of footsteps and the click of an opening fridge.

And silence.

The same silence that's plagued the air around you two for almost a week.

You heard him take a breath as if he were gearing up to say something - putting the keys in the ignition of an old car and praying it starts.

"Your gallery debut is this weekend..." Armin practically forces the words past his lips, making an effort to break the agonizing silence. He closes the door to the fridge with his hip after pulling out a jug of milk and then, he reaches toward the cupboard for a bowl.