chapter eighteen - kafkaesque

@tnxgodimginger on twitter

_____

It's been a few days since you've returned from your trip. And, in a weird way, it was kind of cleansing.

It allowed you to get out of the city and escape your problems for a while.

It's unfortunate that the peace was only temporary.

Since you've been back from your trip Eren hasn't spoken to you, though judgemental glances aren't exactly silent.

Every time you passed him in the halls his arm was around Mikasa, or his tongue was down her throat... or both.

But his eyes were always on you.

In fact, even now that he's standing down the hall he's staring. You just assumed it was because he's mad and still holding a grudge but... you can't shake the feeling that something bad is going to happen or that he said something to your father.

The way his eyes burned through you, the way he had the most subtle half smirk on his face - you had no choice but to assume that he did something.

He was too smug.

As you stared back at Eren, your thoughts are interrupted by a loud smack.

You turned your head to look at Armin who was hitting the vending machine and cursing under his breath when it gave him nothing.

You glance at the snack which has fallen and gotten stuck between the shelves and the glass and it's almost comedic.

You laugh a little, trying your best not to but it was hard.

Armin just turns his head and stares blankly at you.

"Is my pain... funny? Do you find pleasure in my AGONY?"

His completely calm tone makes you burst into laugher in the hallway.

"I'm never speaking to you again." He says.

"Sorry sorry-" you stifle a laugh, "hot rods are gross anyways."

Armin rolled his eyes at you, but then his lips curved to a smile, he found your laugh to be almost contagious and he couldn't possibly stay mad at you for insulting one of his favourite snacks, though he was never really mad in the first place.

"What did you get on your history exam?" he asked.

"What do you think?" you said, your shoulder leaning against the vending machine and you watched as Armin selected a new snack and punched in the numbers.

Armin bent down to pick up the snack; it was a bag of M&M's since he had completely given up on the hot rods. "Have some humility Einstein."

He opened the bag and threw some in his mouth before extending it to you to offer you some.