The After Show

The last of the audience disappeared inside the Big Top, leaving Cross and Alter outside alone. The air was filled with excitement, nervousness and slight fear. Some audience members were even bored.

Cross turned to look at Alter. "Do we go in now?" he asked, tilting his skull towards the tent.

"Yeah, we can sit on the section in front of the sound booth. There are a few rows that are staff only. Just follow me," Alter hummed, leading him into the bright tent filled with loud speaking and people looking for their seats.

The first thing Cross noticed was the dark screen in front of the sound booth's window. He could easily assume that it was see through from the inside, so Error could see everything, but no one could see him.

Alter sat down, Cross following the suit. They had a good view of the whole Ring that was now activated into its full glory.

"The show will begin shortly," Alter informed, looking around in the crowd. "Oh, there's Ink!" He waved to the artist, who's eye lights immediately changed from question marks.

"There you are!" he exclaimed, sitting down next to Alter. "This tent is so full again, hard to find people," he complained, glancing around.

"Ink, remember, our seats are always in front of the sound booth. That's something that's very hard to miss," Alter reminded him with a soft sigh.

"I don't think so," Ink furrowed his browbones, looking at his scarf for answers.

"It has never changed. We always have the exact same seats reserved for us. They don't sell tickets for these."

"I've never sat here before–" Cross chose to tune off the conversation and instead examine everything around him.

"Looks pretty, doesn't it?" Ccino asked, sitting down next to Cross. He looked fairly exited, smiling widely.

"Are there always this many people in the audience?" the monochrome skeleton asked, gesturing towards the crowd.

"The Ringmaster's shows are known in many places. Or at least that's what I've heard the guests say sometimes. Apparently we have a good reputation out there. There hasn't been a single show that hasn't been sold out during the time I've worked here," Ccino explained, leaning forwards in his seat.

"I see," Cross hummed. Soon he also would have to perform for all these people. It sounded like a quite wild idea.

Suddenly the lights flicked off. The show was about to begin. The audience went quiet immediately, every snapping their eyes towards the middle of the tent.

The curtain in the back moved open, colourful lights going on to reveal the figure walking in. In a dark suit Nightmare walked in, hands behind his back, head up. There was a sly smirk on his teeth.

"Monsters and humans, welcome to the circus! My name is Nightmare Joku and I am the one and only Ringmaster of this circus! This will surely be a show like no other! I can assure you that you will be amazed by our wonderful acts! It's time for you to sit back and watch because you might never again see something as wonderful and breathtaking! This surely is the greatest show on the Earth!" Nightmare's smooth voice filled the entire tent, enchanting the whole audience. He raised his hat and took a deep bow before turning around and raising his hands, signaling for the show to begin.

-----

     Nightmare surely hadn't been lying when he said that the audience would be amazed. They were constantly holding their breath and cheering loudly.

Cross was intensely following all the acts. He had seen them practice before, but had never seen the whole show in its full glory. There were also multiple people he had never seen before.