A Pocket Thief

"Did ya get them to sleep bruh?" asked a skeleton in purple jacket, tilting his skull as a monochrome skeleton walked into the room.

"Yeah.." the monochrome one sighed, a bit upset. "They keep asking more questions every night.. It's already been almost a year with nothing.. I don't even know where he is."

The purple one turned to wrap his arms around him. "He will come back eventually bruh. Maybe he's just busy," he tried to assure.

"I know.. I'm just upset that he's missing out quite a lot.." the monochrome one admitted. He took a glance towards the door behind him, thinking about who was behind it.

"Hey bruh. Ya know how I'll be moving for a new job next month bruh. Maybe I'll find him there. I can keep looking put for him for you bruh," the purple one reminded, slowly pulling back from the hug.

The monochrome's face fell as he remembered. "Right.. Then I'll be all alone when you're gone as well.." he whispered, collapsing down on the sofa.

"No bruh, you won't be alone! You'll still have them with you bruh! And I promise to call every day bruh!" the purple rushed to promise.

"I know... Just please promise that you'll actually do that," the monochrome begged, taking his friend's hands on his and looking him in the eye sockets.

"I promise."

-----

     Cross turned in his bed, staring at the upper bunk bed. He had another sleepless night behind him. He was tired, but tried to ignore it. He knew he had to get up and go start his day.

"Too bad he didn't actually follow up with that promise."

Cross froze. Slowly he turned to look at Chara, who was staring at him from the opposite bed. He was about to snap at them, but as soon as he opened his mouth he snapped it close. They had a point and he didn't want to start arguing this early in the morning.

Instead of acknowledging Chara any better Cross decided to just get up from the bed and make his way outside. He really didn't want to deal with his own little parasite.

-----

     The air outside was cold. It kinda made Cross miss his old outfit, which had been way more warmer.

He was about to start heading off towards the food tent when he heard someone approach him. Before he could turn around he heard an unfamiliar voice.

"Hello there dear sir! I do not think that I have had the great pleasure to meet you yet dear sir! You must be the new interesting performer we have in here! I have heard quite a lot of fascinating things about you dear sir. It is a true pleasure to finally find you aimlessly wandering around this spectacular circus of ours!" Cross turned to look at the talkative and confident skeleton, who was standing before him. There was a polite smile on their lips.

"Yeah.. I don't think we've met yet. Uh, hey, my name's Cross," he introduced himself, a bit dumbfounded by this skeleton.

"Ah, dear sir Cross! My amazing name is Ace. I happen to be the best magician in this whole wonderful circus! It truly is my pleasure to meet you on this fine day. It really is a fine day, isn't it? The depressing rain and gloom is gone and we have been left with a bright sun shining above us. You do agree that it is a wonderful day, don't you?" Ace spoke and took Cross' hand to shake it, even though the other hadn't offered it in his slight shock.

"What..? I-I guess.?" Cross stuttered – something at Ace didn't do at all despite speaking way more than him. As he pulled his hand back he came to notice that the bandage around it, which was a part of his outfit, was now gone.