Chapter 45

He didn't sleep well last night, Sung never was able to sleep before a battle. Sung recalled Wan Hill or as many who had been there referred to it "Hells Hill Top", he had rarely slept during that battle. What made it worse was his body had been exhausted by the end of day one but sleep wouldn't come to him because he knew come dawn he would have to go back up the hill again. For five days he had gone up and down that hill and only after it was over did his body allow him to sleep, and he could remember how glorious it had been.

He supposed the reason he couldn't sleep before battle had something to do with his experience during the Battle of Kretin Vally. He had been boxed in and the Earthbenders assaulted them day and night. He was afraid if he closed his eyes for even a second he would never open them again.

It was strange but for whatever reason once the battle had started and rocks and fire went flying and men were screaming out Sung was fine, he could function how he normally would. It might because the hard part was over. The waiting, the silence before the Storm before the call to arms. Once battle had commenced and his training kicked in nothing else mattered so long as the objective was completed. Today's objective would probably be the most important one of his career. Defending the Fire Nation Capital.

The Fire Nation was an old Civilization and it was no stranger to war. In the past when the Nation was less a United body and more of a group of different Islands who all happened to have people of the same ethnicity living on them thought that was up for debate among scholars and historians today. In the days of old many islands saw themselves as independent nations, a person from Hing Wa Island had about as much in common with a person Ma'inka Island as they did with someone from Sun Dao Island, outside of liking the color red and shouting their heads off about Honor. when the Clans of old had more power than the Fire Lord himself who's position of authority waxed and waned from century to century, war was almost constant as these Clans fought for power and territory Clan Yang no stranger to this, though more often then not Yangs did what the Fire Lord Commanded but they were among a small minority. It wasn't until Fire Lord Zoryu the Clans Officially United as one people and the many of the Clans went the way of the Lion Turtle, just a foot note in a long history. When the Islands finally united the wars didn't stop, the people of the Fire Nation had just decided that it made more sense to fight other peoples than it did to fight among themselves.

But even in those old days before official unification there had been those who had tried to Invade the Fire Nation. Chin The Conqueror of course came to Sung's mind. But somehow no invasion had ever been a successful one, the people of the Fire Nation in the Modern time may still have secret differentiating opinions than the Official State Certified norm but when their home is invaded they will put aside differences and fight to defend it. Today would be no different.

Sung arose from his bed right at dawn that day. Putting on his armor and strapping his sword to his belt. He had let out a calming sigh as he left his quarters making sure to wear his helmet. With Siren in tow he had taken one last chance to head down to the Plaza and survey the area before combat started. The gates to the Harbor had been closed, Soldiers manned the Battlements, crews stayed close to their Tanks, and Solider's with Spy glasses scanned the coast for any signs of intruders. It was strangely peaceful in the silence. In total Sung had a little over twenty one thousand Solider's under his command, though the vast majority of that force was held in reserve at the Secondary defensive position waiting for the signal to counter attack.

He had taken those few precious hours to speak with some of the field grade officers and the enlisted ranks to ask them if they needed anything and to perk up their spirits before combat, a few jokes here and there to break up the tension. Some options differed but the vast majority said that they were ready, Sung kept his own opinions to himself but knew that everyone present had no choice but to be ready.