Chapter 43

The next day passed almost like a dream for Sung. He had fought his metaphorical Dragon and won, the story of his battle with his internal self would be a legend told for generations to come! Alright maybe it wasn't that dramatic but he was still happy. He enjoyed all the time he got to spend with Azula, just being around her made Sung feel as if everything was going to be okay. That and his time on Sun Dao had done wonders for him. But like all good things even this vacation had to come to an end. A War was still being fought and Sung had a city to defend. But before he went back to his regular life there was one thing he still had left to do. He had to visit his Father's grave.

The Temple of Amaterasu was one of the unspoken wonders of the world in Sung's opinion. Even to the nonbelievers who stepped onto its grounds could feel a sense of peace. The temple itself was shaped like a box with slanted roofs, a large wooden porch constructed around it. On the inside on a raised platform like shelf was a statue carved of a long haired woman wearing a flowing yellow Kimono. Her arms were outstretched in front of her her hands cupped together as she held a medium sized yellow ball meant to represent the Sun casting its warmth on those below. On he shoulder a Phoenix was perched, it's wings outstretched as it's head pointed skyward. Around the statue's legs was a Dragon curled into a resting position. This was the only known statue of the Sun Goddess to ever be created, her sight forever vigil one her prized bringer of light. The Phoenix on her shoulder meant to represent the Souls of Warriors passed sent to join her in Paradise, reborn in the Fires of the Sun Guard. The Dragon around her legs representing a warriors tasks on Earth still to be carried out.

Sung could recall the first time his Father had taken him here as a small boy. They two kneeling at the feet of Amaterasu. He could remember how safe he felt in the Statues presence. "Son." His father had told him in that deep voice that sometimes still rang in Sung's ears. "We devote our lives in service of her, because without her we are nothing." Sung was too young to understand the meaning of those words back then but now he understood them as plain as day. The Yangs devotion to an old and by modern standards outdated religion was one of mutually necessities. Even before the rule of the first Fire Lord, Yangs had needed something or someone to serve.

Sung stepped into the temple, kneeling by her feet. And bowing his head deeply to her. The statue watched him with indifference as he rose up. From there he walked behind the Temple where cherry blossom trees had been planted in neat rows, there pink petals falling and being carried off by the wind. By each tree was a stone marker with a name inscribed on it, this was the Yang Family graveyard. When a Yang died and their body was cremated, their ashes were gathered and put into the ground. On top a cherry blossom tree was planted, the ashes used to nurture the sapling as it grew. In that way the Yangs returned to nature.

The further he went into the tree grove the newer the stones became and the younger the trees were. Close to the far edge of the grove was a cherry Blossom sapling, just a year old. The Stone reading "Lord Pai Yang" This is where Sung's father had been laid to rest. Sung sat cross legged in front of the Stone. "Hello Father." Sung said, feeling a bit awkward talking to the stone and knowing the stone would never talk back to him. "I-I'm home." He then said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm sorry I haven't visited until now...a lot has changed since we last spoke...I'm...I'm a General now." He said with a small laugh to no one. "I'm just as surprised as you are. I understand what you told me now about the burdens of leadership...having so many look at me to make the right choices is stressful. I don't know how you did it for so long and still kept smiling."

Sung bent forward and touched the stone. It was cool to the touch. "It's been hard without you. I've felt alone for so long...until recently. You remember Azula?" He asked not expecting an answer. "She and I are involved now...Father, she makes me so happy....even before this, I just enjoy being around her in general I suppose. I don't know..." his thoughts were cut short as he heard the flapping of wings. Then Siren appeared, landing on the top of the stone.