Chapter 39

It had been a week since Azula had returned to the Fire Nation. Since that time her Father had been in private council with her several times and she loved every minute of it. After Ba Sing Se she had finally to Ozai that she deserved more responsibility. He allowed her to openly sit in on more meetings. She couldn't be more happy with herself.

Then there was Sung. She had promised him once in the Earth Kingdom that when she was able he would be rewarded for his service, and she had made good on that promise. Now he was a General, perhaps one of the youngest Generals in the history of the Fire Nation. Sung had told her he hadn't been qualified, but from everything she saw said the opposite. Since his promotion Sung had dove head first into his work, going over every record the Royal Procession had. From what she had heard from mumbling guard's lately was that Sung was preforming company reviews and was in the process of ordering new bunks and other commodities to expand the living space to accommodate the new Solider's and officers that would soon be joining the Royal Procession.

But perhaps most importantly of all Sung had been attending War Meetings with Ozai and the other Admirals and Generals that made up the War Council. Today would be one of those days. Perhaps one of the most important meetings of the War. Today they would be discussing a defense plan for the upcoming invasion. But that wouldn't be until later this Afternoon. Unfortunately for Azula her Father wouldn't allow her to sit in on that meeting. He had decided instead in reward for her and Zukos service they should take a vacation to Ember Island to rest and recuperate before the Invasion. But she wouldn't be leaving for the island for a few more hours. Until then she had some time to kill...and Sung had a promise to make good on.

She had checked the most obvious place first. His office. Aside from a neat stack of papers on his desk there was no sign of him. Then she had checked his Quarters. Yes he still lived in Quarters in the Palace. As a High General he could of had a house in the capital close to the Palace. Ozai had offered to return the home that had belonged to Sung's Father to Sung. But of Course Sung being Sung had politely refused. He had told her Father that he didn't need it, that if he remained in his original Quarters he would always be on hand to handle whatever situations arose. Ozai had accepted that response.

After his Quarters she had gone by to check a few of the barracks rooms used by the Enlisted personnel figuring that he may be doing inspections. But yet again Sung was no where to be found. At this point she was beginning to get annoyed. As she walked the halls of the Palace she stopped a Guard who was coming from the opposite direction. "You, where is General Yang?" She asked the Guard more forcefully than she had meant to, but again she was frustrated.

"H-he's in the Officers dining hall." The Guard responded. His voice somewhat muffled by his helmet but the fear was clear in his voice.

Azula softened a little it wasn't this guard's fault she didn't know where Sung was. But again she was annoyed. "Thank you." She then walked past the guard and she could hear the man let out a relived sigh as the two parted ways. From there she quickly made her way to the dining.

The dining hall was a long room red pillars spaced out in around it in a uniform line. Around were red wooden tables each table had four chairs, one on each side.  On the left side of the room was a open window stall which lead to the kitchen with food placed on it that Officers stood in line to receive. Azula had to admit the food smelled heavenly from what she could see Dumplings of some kind, steamed fish dishes, Noodle soups, and various other dishes. Just looking at it made her stomach growl, when had she last ate? She had skipped breakfast in favor of attending a meeting with her Father. So Azula supposed she hadn't eaten today.

She shook her head. She wasn't hear for food, she was hear for Sung. Looking around the room she could see groups of Officers spaced out around the room. Many of them were talking and laughing. Then she saw Sung, sitting alone at the back of the room. His back facing the wall. He had a bowl of what looked like sesame Komodo Chicken over Rice. But he wasn't eating. He had his head buried in that sketch book he had enjoyed so much. In his hand was a well worn pencil that he gently brushed over a piece of paper.