Chapter 40

Sung leaned on the guard rail of a Fire Nation Navy Cruiser. He was out of his Armor, instead in wore a style of outfit reffed to as a Hanfu Suit. It consisted of a Carmine Red long sleeved robe that stopped just above his ankles, a slit on the left side that partially showed his scarlet red pants tucked into boots. The same boots he had worn when he and Zuko had snuck out of the Palace. Around his waist he wore a yellow Silk sash. Finally he carried a Leather satchel over his shoulder that carried a few miscellaneous items, but most importantly his sketch book. What he was without however was his sword, that he had placed back in its sword bag to protect it from the rust of sea water.

Siren was propped on the guard rail beside him as he gently scratched her back, the bird cooing at his touch. Looking up at the star filled sky Sung let out a sigh. This might be the only time in his military life he didn't mind being on a Watercraft. After he had lost track of how long he was going home...hopefully with Azula.

Ozais words were still ringing in his ears, permission the Fire Lord had given him permission to court his daughter. That had made him feel...well he didn't know how it made him feel. Sung may have been given permission but that meant nothing if Azula didn't feel the same as he did. Once again he thought back to the almost kiss but on its own that act had meant very little. Outside of him not knowing how the Fire Lord would react, Sung had been afraid of how Azula would react...more specifically if she turned him down. He valued her friendship and the last thing he wanted to do was ruin it by making it awkward.

He sighed as he looked in the distance, the Resort Island fast approaching. The air was warm, a breeze blowing over that caused the ends of his robes to ripple like a flag. In truth he wasn't dressed for the beach his outfit looking more akin to what one would wear to a meeting. Though that was of little consequence, he wouldn't be staying here long.

Pushing himself off the rail he held his arm up. Siren taking the hint and leaping onto his arm. Picking up his sword bag he turned. Feeling the ship begin to slow as it came into port. It was at that moment an Officer came out of a door that was connected to the ship's command bridge. Sung Began walking and the two met halfway on the deck. The Officer bowed his head. "We are beginning final approach General."

"Thank you for this Commander, I know it's a little out of the way." Sung replied. He had caught a ride on this ship just before it was preparing to depart for the Earth Kingdom to support the Occupation. While if had gone straight to Sun Dao from the Fire Nation capital it would have only interrupted their schedule by at most eight hours, heading for Ember Island and then to Sun Dao would set the ship back by at least ten.

"It is no problem at all." The Commander responded. "My ship is always at the call of the War Council. Despite what many of my fellow Officers in the Navy believe the Navy can function without the Army and Vice versa."

"Regardless I greatly appreciate you going off course for me." Sung replied. "I'll try to make this as quick as possible so you can get back on schedule."

The Commander nodded, bowing one more time before turning and heading back towards the command bridge. When he was out of ear shot Sung looked to Siren who had been busying herself by preening her feathers. "You know girl, maybe the Navy ain't so bad." Siren looked at him, her head cocked to the side. "Yeah maybe you're right I have been on the ocean too long."

*

Even at night Ember Island was a beehive of activity. People on vacation going back and forth, restaurants and bars dotting the Island serving costumers as quickly as they arrived. Laughing and cheering were in no small supply here the pops and bangs of fireworks lit up the night sky. On Ember Island it was probably the only place in the world people could go and just forget the war for awhile and just have a good time. Sung wasn't here for merrymaking however, he was on a mission that he intended to complete, even if unfortunately the results didn't eet the expectations that he had drilled up in his head.