Chapter 20

Azula laid down on the carpet of the First car a pillow under her head as she looked out the window at the passing trees. Her eyes burned as she fought back tears a lump building up in her throat. The utter audacity of Sung to say he would willingly take his own life if he saw no other way out of a captive situation. He was right, she didn't understand his up bringing was very different from hers. Sung spouted on and on about his precious little code but not once had he said anything about suicide. The way he had said it was like he was telling her he was going for a walk not that he was willing to commit such a heinous act to himself. She had lost her mother, her brother, and her uncle she didn't know if she could take losing Sung too on top of everything else. Was she being selfish in her thinking? Perhaps but she didn't care. That had been Two days ago now but the pain of his words were as fresh as if it had happened a few minutes ago. Since then she had been cold towards Sung saying only the bear minimum to him, she wanted to hurt him as he had hurt her and it was working. After the first day Sung had stopped talking only to give updates on his tracking of the Avatar. For Some reason none of it made her feel any better.

"Azula...Are you alright?" Ty Lee asked softly from behind.

Azula sniffled in response "I'm fine" She had spoke with more coldness than she had meant to.

"Well...alright but if you need to talk I have two ears"

She had learned a long time ago to never show weakness, that was one of the First lessons he Father had taught her. If she spouted out every time something was wrong with her, all she would be doing was giving potential enemies ammunition to use against her. She needed, no had to be strong if she was to one day rule the Fire Nation. She shot up and looked At Ty Lee who sat on the other side of the Car next to Mai "Why do you have to be so nosy?"

"Because I am your friend" She said with a sad smile on her face.

"You want to know how I am Doing? how do you think I am doing?! One of my only friends just said he would have no problem with killing himself if his back was against the wall!" Ty Lee recoiled at the shout trying to make herself as small as possible. "I don't want him to think he would need to do that"

"I don't know if you could ever make him change that way of thinking Azula" Mai said. Before Azula could respond She held up a fingerless gloved hand halting her "We have all heard the Stories of The House Of Yang right? I mean three Yang's show up in the history books we had to Read at the Royal Fire Academy for girls. I wouldn't be surprised if ever since he could understand the Word "Sacrifice" he had been taught that a Day may come where he has to make that Sacrifice. He has just accepted that as a fact he must live with until the day comes when his Goddess calls him "Home". I don't understand his Code or his Religion anymore than you two do but I do Understand he thinks like a solider I have been around enough of them in New Ozai to get an idea of how they think."

Azula was intrigued yet confused, She had been around Soldiers her entire life as well but then again those Soldiers were Generals and Admirals. "Where are you going with this?"

Mai shrugged " Sung has been taught to listen to his commanders as if they were the words of his Goddess and you know how he follows her words "Religiously" If you pardon the Expression, away from any other Soldiers he looks at you as his Commanding Officer now."

"I still don't follow...I don't just see Sung as someone to boss around He is almost my equal when it comes to Firebending" Almost but not quite.

Mai face palmed "You may think that but Sung doesn't, I mean look how he has acted calling you by your title more than just your name. He listens to you, just use that and order him not to kill himself."

The Young Princess looked at her friend through squinted eyes "You really think it would be that easy, we are talking about a man okay with taking his own life not chewing with his mouth open or something!"