Chapter II

(A/N: Aloha 🌺

Another chapter for You. Thank you for your comments and votes and I am asking for further feedback 😊 It motivates me immensely and draws attention to things I missed.)

It all started with a meteor shower. 

They were not as large objects as the one that (supposedly) made the dinosaurs extinct, but still big enough to cause a lot of damage. The bombardment lasted several days, which completely paralyzed any movement between continents, countries and even cities. People hid in houses, but still many died, not only from the blows themselves but from accidents caused by them; demolition of buildings, road collisions, and one particularly large meteorite caused a tsunami that claimed thousands of lives. Humanity has been decimated, and the destruction, covering the entire globe was colossal. 

 When the meteors finally stopped hitting the Earth and people thought that it was over, all hell was about to break loose.

Aliens appeared.

In fact, no one didn't exactly know where they came from. No telescope, radar or satellite had detected their ships coming until they occured out of nowhere near the South Pole and spread over the entire Earth.

One day you had gone back to work because the threat of falling meteorites had disappeared, and the next day a state of emergency had been declared in forty-four countries around the globe.

Hollywood's darkest alien invasion scenarios had come true. Although, in fact, probably few people thought that this was how humanity's first meeting with intelligent extraterrestrials would look like. At first, most people tried to resist, but they died en masse in clashes with this hitherto unknown force. Few pacifists talked about simply not attacking, putting the weapon aside and trying to communicate with them somehow. Unfortunately, this point of view was not taken seriously by the rulers. The armies of most countries pulled out the heaviest artillery, but they did it with the consent and encouragement of the majority of society. Although the effect of this tactic was negligible, it only slowed down the attackers. 

It soon became clear that the meteorites must have been their doing, though no one knew how they could have done it.

Volunteer troops had been formed in almost every country to fight the invaders. Regardless of their size, level of experience, or training, they died within seconds after meeting just a few aliens. Only nukes did not manage to go into battle. Before anything was decided at the extraordinary meeting of the heads of the greatest states, the aliens, as if sensing what it could mean for them, got into the bunker where the meeting was taking place and ... from then on, you could say that your civilization had ended. 

There were fears that now some fool would unleash nuclear hell, as if there wasn't enough trouble, but it looked like the aliens had technology that blocked the possibility of launching missiles. At least that's what the media, in their last breath, reported. So apparently someone tried to do it.

In just a few weeks, most of the world began to resemble a post-apocalyptic B-movie. The few media, which had not yet died, gave only fragmentary information about the next destroyed cities and instructions on how to hide from the Reptiles, as they called the invaders, but nothing could guarantee a hundred percent safety.

Of course, the name Reptiles comes from the appearance of aliens. 

They looked humanoid in a way. From the few testimonies of witnesses and photos and recordings, it was known that they were bigger, much stronger, and looked like huge lizards. Their skin was hard and thick, from a distance it resembled a reptile-like, but those who got to know it up close did not lie down long enough to say anything about it. Their skin also came in different colors, from brown and beige through reds, yellows and blues and additional patterns.