Chapter X

Othiel was... happy. Yes, it had to be happiness. So intense that sometimes he felt like he was going to explode. (Y/N) and her presence was all he thought about in the last few days. He had always wondered what it was like to find a partner, but he didn't think it could be such a stunning feeling. In her company, in her arms, he was overwhelmed by a pleasure he had never felt before in his life... at least not in this one.

(Y/N) reminded him of who he really was. He hoped that with time, he would be able to make her recall everything too. The dream she had after the intimate moment was a good sign. The memories were there somewhere. He thought it was only a matter of time until they all came to the surface. For now, he didn't want to overwhelm her with too much information.

With each passing day, he became more sensitive and open to what she and other people felt, but also to what he felt. He had been changing, even he could see it. He allowed himself all the emotions and feelings that came to him in a great amount, like never before... He had some suspicions that his species could be completely different if they weren't taught to deny their inner selves. He also concluded that humans were not much different from roughskins, apart from the physical differences, their souls were similar, and in the case of him and (y/n), even the same. However, he left his thoughts aside for now and focused on hunting. He sensed a deer circling the forest and began following it.

***

Like almost every day for some time now, he came to the humans' hideout. He found himself baring his teeth, not in a hostile grimace, but in what people called a smile. This made him smile even wider. 

In one hand he held the prey, in the other small flowers with bright petals, the names of which he unfortunately forgot, but he knew that they would surely make (y/n) happy. In his own culture, to please a female, one had to fight a battle in front of her, demonstrate strength or courage, become famous during hunting or conquest, or at least give a valuable hunting trophy. Othiel had already gotten to know (y/n) enough to know that none of these actions would impress her, but rather discourage her.

He entered the hiding place as if entering his own home. Humans started treating him almost like one of their own. Ever since (y/n) returned after their first intimate close-up with the news that he wasn't angry about the attack by the young males, everyone seemed to be relieved. They invited him to dinner again, this time making sure no one offended him. Samantha, (y/n)'s relative, even forced those poor nestlings to apologize to him, which was quite a funny sight.

Humans were still somehow afraid of him, but day by day there was less and less fear in them. That worried him a little because he still enjoyed spreading terror, but he knew he could have love of (y/n) or fear of her people, not both. 

The males guarding the door merely smiled at the sight of him, or perhaps at the sight of the enormous deer he was carrying, but there was something about their smiles that made him uneasy. He felt an overwhelming aura of sadness floating around. It surely wasn't there before. He tucked the flowers into his belt and carried the bounty to the patio, where Patrick joined him. 

'Great, we'll get it ready soon,' he said, trying to be cheerful. 'Don't you need the skin for something?'

'I've had enough of the leather, leave it for yourselves.'

'Sure, but we would like to repay you...'

'No need...' Othiel interrupted him impatiently, waving his hand. 'What happened to make everyone so... sad?

Patrick was a little confused but replied. 'Daria... one of the women you saved with (y/n)... She's dead, killed herself by cutting her veins.'