Prologue I

He walked down a long, empty corridor. 

It was carved from light brown, workable rock and illuminated by pneumatic lights. An underground base, where a conference was held on the most important issue in many, many circles. 

He was summoned by one of the highest females in their community, and without even thinking twice about it, he immediately directed his steps there.

He was restless, he could feel the feathers on his head fluff unpleasantly, which was not welcome, but he was surprisingly unable to control it.

He reached halfway down the corridor when he heard the voice behind him.

'Son!'

He turned quickly, trying to mask the nervous movements of his tail.

His mother left the room he had just passed and stood with her muscles tensed, staring down at him. She was one of the tallest females he knew. She was taller than most males, which only added her majesty. She was one of the ten highest females - rulers of the Roughskins, his species. She was the one who had summoned him.

At the moment her feathers were smooth and her tail fell freely. She looked confident and so she felt, he could sense it without a problem.

'The conference is over,' she announced triumphantly, staring at him. She obviously sensed his unease and didn't like it.

Despite everything, he allowed himself to show a slight surprise. 'So soon?'

'There was nothing to debate. Everyone wants to regain what is ours.'

He blinked, trying to put his thoughts into relatively mild words. 'It's been so long ...,' he began. 'I don't know if it makes sense ...'

'There is no statute of limitations for harm like this! Don't you dare think that way.' His mother interrupted him, glaring at him furiously. He sensed a huge impulse of anger hitting him. 'The door has opened, which signifies the best time has come for us. Anyway, we need a new place to live ... Our planet is dying, Othiel. Have you forgotten about it?'

'No, mother. I remember that perfectly well.'

'That's good. This thought will spark you on the battlefield. I have decided that you too will come to represent our kin.'

He had expected that, so he merely nodded and grunted. 'Yes, mother.'

'Tahom has already dispatched the rock missile homing device there,' she continued. 'It'll prepare the ground for you. You're off in half a cycle.'

He nodded again, resigned.

'Bring me no shame, son,' mother warned him as if she would ever have to be ashamed of him. She obviously didn't trust him on this, which was hardly surprising. He was not as enthusiastic as the rest of the Roughskins when he learned that the opportunity had finally come to master Gaia. In addition, now he was emanating anxiety and aversion ... His mother, despite his strenuous attempts to mask these feelings, must have sensed them.

He struck his fist on the chest as was customary and forcefully said: 'Never!' Trying to put as much energy into this gesture and word as possible.

His mother gave him one more look, then turned and left without a word, leaving him alone in the corridor.

He breathed heavily and returned, the same way he came, allowing himself a moment of reflection.

Revenge.

That was the primary motive for their invasion plans.

Their distant ancestors swore to do it, but the opportunity never arose, so the present generation inherited it.