Saying goodbye is a death by a thousand cuts

"How dare you hit him?"

"How dare he hit his daughter?"

My father punched me. But that's not the problem, a stream of blood flows out of the left side of my mouth and it ruined my makeup. That, is the problem.

Cara is with Susan now. I made sure she's fed and safe.

I brought her back to the palace and she fell asleep in my arms.

I tried not to remember the time her mother died in my arms.

"Get the fuck out of my sight. And you're not doing rounds around the city anymore. You're bodyguards will do it alone," He says.

Good riddance.

I walk out of Kayan's den and back into room.

Unfortunately, before I can fix my wound, I realise I am not alone.

"What the hell happened to you?" Lucas asks.

"Kayan."

Azrael sighs and I sense that he's mad at me.

"Essie, seriously. We should go. We could work from outside. Destroy him without destroying ourselves," He says.

I know we should. But what will happen to Susan? And Fleur? And now Cara?

They'd slow us down which is why I can't bring them with me. But how can I leave them in this hell hole?

"He's right." Ocean pitches in.

I know he is.

"Honestly, by staying here, we're not helping anyone. We have to leave."

I can't believe Lucas is saying smarter stuff than I am.

"Okay. Yeah, you guys are right. Pack light. We'll leave at midnight. Luke, you know who to bring with us. I gotta deal with something"

°°°

"Hey, Cara."

"Hi," She says, stuffing a chocolate pastry in her mouth.

"She's like a little Esmeray. She likes all the treats you used to," Susan says, finally filling Cara's plate with some actual food.

"I don't want carrots."

"It's good for your eyes, Cara."

She looks at me and I nod. She begrudgingly puts a carrot in her mouth.

Susan's love language is food. Always has been. Which is why, I can trust her to keep Cara well fed. The poor girl probably hasn't eaten well in quite a long time.

"Cara, can I talk to you for a minute?"

She nods while taking a big bite of Susan's healthy version of Chicken nuggets.

They taste basically the same but aren't as unhealthy and actually give you the nutrients you need.

"I am gonna have to leave home tonight. Will you promise to stay safe? Stay with Fleur and Susan only?"

"You're leaving?" Her voice drops along with her smile.

"I am so sorry, sweetie. I promise I'll be back before you know it."

"That's what my Mom said. Please don't say that."

I think I hear my heart break.

"I will be back, Cara. And then we'll eat chicken nuggets and chocolate cupcakes together. I promise."

     She's a girl beyond her years. You can see it in her eyes. Matured too fast because life showed it's true colours too quick. 

She hums understandingly and I feel terrible about having to leave her. But if she goes with me, I'll be opening her to a life of danger.