Sometimes you just want to commit homicide

TW - abuse

"Princess? Your majesty?" Lucas's girlfriend for the night yells my name.

"What's wrong?" I ask, grabbing her forearms to stop her from freaking out.

"It's— it's a fight."

Oh.

Just that?

"Between whom?" I roll my eyes, letting go of her.

"Luc—"

I don't need to hear the rest of it.

Before she gets a chance to finish, I enter the ballroom and spot my brother.

I rush to his side, as soon as I see Luke fuming with rage, his fists clenched and the muscles in his neck tight.

"Luke."

Angry Luke is no one's friend. Except me, ofcourse.

"Hey, hey. What's wrong?"

He doesn't reply.

I look at the man he's mad at. He stands there, hugging himself in a basic black and white suit.

I would've probably mistook him for a waiter if I didn't know Kayan invited him.

"Lucas, relax. It's okay. I'll handle it. Relax."

I seem his muscles relaxing as I lead him back to his assigned table.

"Stay away from her," He yells.

I lock eyes with a guard, asking him to hold Damon back without using a word.

As we approach the table, Luke tilts towards a pretty brunette girl sitting a few inches away from him, her face contorted in pure fear.

"So what's up?" I finally ask Lucas. I know he won't just start a fight without a good justification.

"She asked him not to reach up under his skirt but he still did. He hit her. Right in front of me," Luke says.

Jackass.

I nod, taking the last sip of my wine. "Justified, then."

I look at my glass and let out a groan. I swear I don't drink too much. It's just these balls.

"I need a refill to get through the night."

I walk away from the table, towards the bar.

"Hi, love. Can I get another one of what you gave me?" I ask the pretty girl at the counter.

She smiles at me, pouring and mixing my drink.

I don't know shit about what I drink. I just know it helps me get through these nights.

She places the glass infront of me, leaning forward much more than necessary.

"Thank you, sweetheart."

"Anytime. Let me know if you need anything else tonight, your majesty."

Tough luck, darling.

I'll be with Azrael.

I walk back to our table.

    I pull up a chair beside her and gesture her to sit as she starts to stand and bow.

"You okay?"

She opens her mouth to speak but decides against it and nods instead.

She's pretty.

"What's your name?" I make my voice softer.

"Ocean. Ocean Willow Cynthia, your majesty."

"Pretty name for a pretty girl." I lean forward.

Lucas clears his throat beside her when I do my signature head tilt.

"Ocean..." I draw our her name, not even knowing what I want to say next.

"I- I have to go back to him," I say.

Woah.

The flirting usually got people to stay longer.

Did I mess up?

"Why?"

"My family is in debt. My father...he- he took a massive loan from his family before my dad's death. And there's no possible way that I can repay him. And-"

"And you volunteered to use yourself to pay off the debt?" I fill in the blank.

No way am I letting her go back.

Not just because she's pretty enough to flirt with but because that man is bad news.

"There is absolutely no way you're going to him. If he can do that to you infront of the Lucas what does he do behind closed door?"

I see her flinch and I feel as though I should've sliced his neck then and there.

"I'll pay back the debt," Lucas announces.

Ocean stutters, "N-no I can't you do that."

That's a good idea.

"Well, you're not going back to him, that's for sure. Essie?"

I nod in approval, staring at the way her big eyes look up at Lucas, the way her brown hair frames her face.

     My brown hair is a big fat lie, hers is the sort of natural imperfectly perfect hair that you can't help but admire.

"It's simple. We'll pay back the debt and-"

"Where will I stay? I have no place to go."

"You can stay here," I offer, "With me." I add a subtle wink.

"Oh my god, Essie. No," Lucas exclaims.

"What?" I look up at him.

His eyes narrow, clearly telling me to back off.

Ohhhh.

He wants her.

"I mean...you can stay at the palace. With Luke."

"I don't- I don't know how to thank you."

"No need for that," Luke says.

Ocean smiles at him and he returns the expression.

Yeah.

I am going to go.

"So.. you want a drink?" Lucas asks.

"I don't drink," Ocean says and I gawk at her.

How does she manage life?

"Oh. Uh.. sparkling water and smocked salmon then?"

As they walk away, I get up from the table and walk out into the hallway.

The guard waits outside with Damon.

"Hey, buddy."

I grab his collar, pushing him against the wall, the knife that was previously on my thigh now close to his neck.

"How fucking dare you?"

He gulps.

I press the knife closer.

"I— I didn't know you were friends, ma'am."

"Oh, we're not. But you angered my brother and I promised him I'd take care of it."

He pants, his eyes wide in fear.

"Alright, Damon. Here's what's gonna happen, I'll let you go, you're gonna walk out the palace door and never show your face here again. Or around her. Is that understood?"

He nods as I take a step back and watch him run out the door.

I walk back into the hallway, missing Azrael already.

"What'd you do?" Luke asks as soon as I come near him.

"Not enough, that's for sure. Where is she?"