S i x t e e n

Yasu's POV

Kota turns her head away. I'm starting to doubt my eyes. 

I blink several times before confirming that Kota is actually here. 

I open my mouth to say something, but I am interrupted. 

"Uh, Zenitsu!!" Kota shouts, and Agatsuma-kun turns his focus to Kota.

"Yes, Kota-chan??"

"Want to... go pick some flowers with me??" She asks, avoiding my eye that is fixed on her.

"Kyahhh! Of course, Kota-chan~! Anything for youuu!!" He smiles and wiggles over to Kota. Taking her hand, he drags her out of the room. 

Before the door closes, her eyes meet mine. What she's trying to say is clear. Avoid.

"Strange," I mutter, still staring at the now-closed door.

"That's Kota." Tanjiro-kun's voice startles me out of my deep thoughts. I turn my attention towards him. "We met at a festival. That's when we met a lowermoon."

"I know her." I mumble, glancing over at the door once more.

"You do? How did you guys meet?" he asks, but this time I answer with silence. 

I decide to change the subject. "Who's the girl with the bamboo?"

"That's my sister, Nezuko. She-" He stops, takes a deep breath, and says "She's a demon, but don't worry! She doesn't eat humans."

Huh. Never heard of that one. I scoot closer and poke her cheeks. Cute!

I sit down cross-legged and pat my knees signaling the friendly demon to come sit. She obeys and sits, and I start playing with her hair.

"Nezuko. Nezuko! Very cute name. Your hair is very soft, and that bamboo of yours match you well!" I smile, separating her hair into three strips. 

"I think she might be the same age as you," Tanjiro-kun mentions. "She's twelve."

"Ha!" I giggle, slowly braiding her hair. "We could be friends!"

Tanjiro-kun stares onto the floor. "Only if she was human," He murmurs. 

I tie the braid together. Letting them drop, I turn my head to face him. "You will."

"How do you know?"

I turn back to Nezuko, plugging out some strips of her hair to fall in front of her face. "I feel strong determination."

In the corner of my eye, I can see his lips forming a small smile.

---

Walking outside, I stretch my arms. One hour of nap. Not enough, but it'll do.

I peek around the corner, and spot Rengoku-san. I'm about to walk up to him until I see Kota standing with him. 

Staying by the corner, I study what they're doing. Looks like training. I decide to sit down at a nearby rock.

Kota takes a deep breath in, and I see Tomioka-san walking towards her. I don't think she realizes he's coming towards her.

With one punch, Tomioka-san makes Kota cough and stumble back. "Wrong."

I snicker, but cover my mouth. This will be fun to watch.

"What am I supposed to do?" Kota asks, holding her stomach.

"Try again."

Rengoku-san's hands make its way to Tomioka-san's shoulder. "You're a great teacher, Tomioka!"