N i n e

Yasu's POV

I study his features. Plum-red eyes. Very pale. He wears western-style clothing. I memo that inside my head. It could be helpful.

I feel a tug on my haori. "Umm, dumb question. Do you know how we got here?" Kota asks quietly.

I turn to her. "Blood demon art."

She still looks confused.

"Does anyone care to explain to me why you guys were with some humans?" The demon king asks with a cold tone. 

I frown and glare at him. What's wrong with humans? At least we're immune to the Sun.

"No one? I guess I can just kill-" He starts, glancing over at us, then stops. He stares at me. What a creep.

"What." I sneer, crossing my arms. 

"Those stupid earrings..." He grits his teeth. I think he's... trembling. He's scared of some earring? I wish I'd known that sooner. "Who are you?"

"What kind of question is th- mmgh!" I shoot back, but the six-eyed demon covers my mouth. How rude!!

"She is no one... Master Muzan..., This girl over here..." He points at Kota, "Found her in... the woods... injured.."

"Hey, why are you bringing me into this?" Kota crossing her arms, her eyebrows frowning. 

Muzan glances over at Kota, then he turns his attention back to me. He waves his arms, then the six-eyed demon let go of my mouth. Truth is, I was biting his hand all this time. 

He shakes his hand in disgust, and goes back to his spot.

"Your name, human?" The demon king asks, pointing at me. 

"...Yasu." I reply, avoiding making eye contact with him. His eyes make my gut flip upside-down.

"Full name?" He asks once more.

What's with people and full names? Like, isn't my first name enough? I can't tell him my last name. 

Suddenly, my throat is grabbed by really strong hands. I cough at the strong impact.

"Last time I'll ask you this. What is your full name?" He glares, tightening the grip on my throat. 

"Master Muzan...?" The six-eyed demon speaks up. Muzan turns his gaze away from me. "Humans... if they can't breathe... they can't speak... I suggest letting go... of her..."

Thank you, spider! The demon king tosses me onto the floor. I sit there catching my breath. My mind clears and I'm okay again. 

"I- I don't have a last name!" I make an excuse, a horrible excuse, and crawl next to Kota. I'm afraid something might happen to her.

"Do you think I'll believe that lie?" Muzan scoffs. "Everyone has a last name. How ridiculous."

I stare at the floor. I'm terrified. 

"Yasu," I hear Kota's soft voice calling me. I raise my head to look at her. "I know I haven't known you for long, but just please say your last name so we'll live! Please, Yasu." She pleads, holding my hand. 

"It seems like these humans need some time. I can't believe I'm doing this, but take these girls to another room, where they'll be staying. They aren't going to leave until Yasu tells me her last name." He crouches down, looking at me. "She's interesting, and reminds me of someone. If I can just figure it out..." He sighs, gets up and shoos us off. 

A string of biwa is struck, and the demon king is gone.

"What in the world is going on?" Kota stutters, making the other demons stare at her.