T w o

Yasu's POV

The creature's head falls to the ground. I shriek and jump back in fright. I'm a shivering mess.

"Are you okay, young lady?" The person who beheaded the creature asks me. I look up.

He had yellow and red hair, strangely. He also had a very bright smile which was comforting.

I nod slowly, but then remember my aunt. "Wait- my aunt- is- is she going to be okay-?"

The man looks towards my home. "I'm sorry. I came too late."

My heart breaks. She's gone? Just like that?

Tears roll down my cheeks, and I crouch down onto the floor. I sob for awhile, and I think the stranger might've walked away. 

When I wipe my tears and look up, I can see he's still there waiting. I rub my eyes and get up. My eyes feel puffy. 

"What's your name, young lady?" He asks, crouching down to my height. I sniff and catch my breath.

"Yasu..." I reply, my voice still shaking. He shoots me a gentle smile. 

"I am Rengoku Kyojuro. Do you have another family I can take you to?" He asks. I shake my head. 

I have no one now, huh? Tears start forming again, Renogku-san gently wipes them off. Wow. His hand is really warm.

"It's okay, young lady! No need to cry. How about you come with me?" He places his hand on my head. 

I was always taught not to follow a stranger, but I guess this stranger saved my life. "Okay.."

"First, let's bury her." He says and enters my home. I look away when I hear his footsteps approaching. I don't want to see her. It breaks my heart just by thinking about it.

When he tells me he's done burying her, I turn and walk towards Rengoku-san. My knees plop down on the dirt, and I bring my hands together to pray for her peace. 

He looks at me and turns around. "Here, you can rest on my back."

I hesitantly climb onto his back, gripping onto his shoulders tightly. I'm not planning on falling today. I look back at my house and auntie for the last time. 

Rengoku-san firmly adjusts my legs between his arms, so I won't fall. He dashes off with an amazing speed.

"You know, I have a little brother who looks about the same age as you. How old are you, Yasu?" Rengoku-san asks, still breathing normally even though he is running super fast.

"I'm 7 years old." I reply, enjoying the cool wind brushing against my face. I feel bad for enjoying myself in this situation.

"Aha! You guys are the same age. I'm sure you'll be good friends." He laughs, not skipping a beat. 

The rest of the run is silent. I can't stop thinking of my poor auntie. I need to stop thinking about her. There is no way I can bring her back.

I sniffle and rest my head on Rengoku-san's shoulders. Before I could say 'excuse me', I drift into deep sleep.

--------------------

I groan as I lift my eyes open. I'm in an unfamiliar room. I blink a few times before pulling myself up, stretching. I open my mouth and yawn, closing my eyes as I do so. 

When I was even younger, my auntie would always tell me if I yawn with my eyes open, I'll see creepy things. She told me it was a joke a few months later, but I got used to it by then. It has stuck to me ever since.

I wipe away the yawn-tears coming out from my eyes. When I glance at the door, I see a smaller version of Rengoku-san holding a tray of food. He flinches when he sees me looking at him.

"H-hello!" He mutters, and places the tray down. "Here's your food!"

He looks very shy. 

I get up and sit next to the tray. "Thanks..."

I eye him and he seems to be taking a deep breath. Is he going to tell me something big? It surely looks like it.

"I-" He starts, glances over at me. "I'm Rengoku Senjuro.." 

I stare at him. That was not what I was expecting, but it was nice to hear him introduce himself.

"Nice to meet you Rengoku-kun. My name is Yasu." I introduce myself as well. I've done many deliveries and met many new people, but I still tend to be shy at times. 

He shakes his hand and head. "N-no! Feel free to call me Senjuro."

I munch on my food, and it tastes amazing. "Thank you for the food."

I can see Senjuro clenching his fists together. "I.. I heard your aunt has been killed by a demon..."

I stop chewing. What did he just say? "...demon?"

Senjuro looks up, and then crawls closer to me. "Wha? You never heard of one?"

I shake my head. "Though that term scares me."

"Demons are man-eating creatures. Thankfully, they burn in the Sun and only roam at night." Senjuro explains. 

"But..." I frown. "My aunt told me the moon is like the Sun. She told me it just reflects the Sun's light." (LMAO PLEASE DON'T ASK ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SAY IT)

Senjuro is speechless for a moment. "I- I don't know. Maybe the light has to be shining directly to the Earth in order to kill a demon...?"

I nod, and resume eating my food. "So like, your family is the only one killing those demons?"

"No... demon slayers kill demons during the night. They are unrecognized by the government."

I finish my food and hand the tray back to Senjuro. "The food was delicious. Thank you."

He smiles slightly at me, and heads out of the room. 

I wonder where Rengoku-san is at right now. I get up from where I am sitting and stretch once more. I step out of the room and glance around. 

This house is bigger than our house. Possibly 5x bigger. I glance down at my clothes and see that I'm still in my Kimono. That's why I felt so uncomfortable. 

The wooden floor makes a satisfying 'tap' sound as I walk around. I hear some people on the right side of this room. Maybe it's Rengoku-san.

I walk towards the noise, glancing around every time there is a turn. 

Suddenly, a loud crash leaves me startled. It sounded like glass breaking. My mind gives me flashbacks of yesterday before I entered our house. 

I run in through the hallways, and finally find the cause of the noise. I see a broken alcohol bottle crashed on the floor, and Rengoku-san standing just a few feet away from it. There's one more person. Instead of a smaller version, there is now a bigger version of Rengoku-san.

When the older man raises his arm, possibly trying to hit Rengoku-san, I rush over and stand between the two people.

I feel pain in my head and a high-pitched noise comes rushing through my ears. Who is this man and why is he trying to hit Rengoku-san?