Ch. 14 - A Trembling Surprise

Start from the beginning

"Oh my, young (l/n)-san! You're out late tonight, aren't you? Does Urokodaki-san know you're out here?"

An old woman asked from behind the counter as she rang (y/n) up and he prepared to pay.

"Yes, ma'am, he knows I'm here! I'm so sorry to bother you before you close up, but thank you for helping me out!"

(Y/n) smiled and handed her the money he owed, picking up the two dummies and potted plant soil he had purchased.

"Why, of course! You're one of the few people keeping us in business, after all! My grandson and I are happy to help you and Urokodaki-san however we can."

The woman smiled sweetly as (y/n) made his way to the door.
However, she felt like something was off about tonight, so she called to him just before he left.

"Younge (l/n)-san! It's getting late! Would you like to stay with me and Ukame for the night? I wouldn't want you getting caught up in anything with those disgusting demons."

She said in a worried tone and (y/n) simply chuckled and shook his head.

"I'll be alright, Sanjiwara-san! Thank you for the offer!"

"Well then, please-"

"Be careful! I know! Have a good night, Sanjiwara-san!"

(Y/n) smiled and left the small shop, beginning his jog back to Urokodaki's home.
Unfortunately, a faint scream pierced (y/n)'s ears when he was about half way down the path.
Without a second thought, he dropped everything he was holding and rushed towards where the scream came from.
When he got there, he saw something that made a wave of anger wash over him.

Anger he didn't know he could feel.

In front of him stood a demon towering over a crying child.
The demon's skin was a rusty orange with blotches of bright blue and riddled with sharp spines.
It's eyes were sunken into its head and spun around as the hideous creature laughed.

In a blind rage, (y/n) unsheathed his blade and rushed in front of the demon as it raised a hand to swipe at the kid.
He kicked the demon back and stood in front of the child, holding his blade in a defensive stance as he stared the demon down.

"Pick on someone your own size, ugly!"

(Y/n) threatened as the demon regained its balance with a deep chuckle.

"Well, well! The corps finally sent a slayer- Oh! You're not a slayer. That's my prey right there, pal! Back off! I don't care what your eyes say!"

The demon growled and took an intimidation stance, glaring into (y/n)s eyes as its own settled.

"I don't give a damn if you care about my eyes. I will not let you lay another one of your disgusting hands on this kid. Don't talk to me in such a familiar tone, demon."

"You say demon like you're not one of us! That fancy sword doesn't change a thing! He must be so disappointed that he made a rebellious thing like you!"

The attacking demon cackled and moved to strike, freezing as (y/n) vanished.
It's eyes darted around frantically to find him before it made a dash for the kid.

"Blood Demon Art: Blade of Flowers! Second form, Righteous Peony Display!"

(Y/n) called out and zipped around the demon in a pink light, making it freeze in its tracks.
As (y/n) stood in front of the kid and sheathed his blade with a dangerous look in his eyes, the other demon staggered back.
The second the blade's guard clicked with the saya, gashes appeared on the opposing demon's skin and it wailed in pain.

The demon's vision flooded red with it's blood and it reached to clear its eyes, only to see the world spin upside-down.
A thump followed soon after and the demon stood frozen in shock.
It's head now laid on the ground in a matter of seconds.

"The power of an upper moon... it's beautiful.."

The demon muttered as it faded away, leaving (y/n) and the boy alone.

"Hey, are you-"

(Y/n) started to speak and turn around, only to stop when he felt a small pair of arms wrap around his legs.

"Please, don't kill me! Please let me live, mister demon!"

The kid cried and a strong pain squeezed (y/n)'s heart, making his eyes soften as he kneeled down to eye level with the boy.

"Hey, calm down. I'm not going to hurt you, okay? Do you have any family I could take you to?"

(Y/n) spoke softly as the boy hugged him, rubbing circles on his back.
The boy shook his head as his cried died down.

"A different demon killed them... my face stings.."

At that (y/n) pulled the boy away from him and gently held his head in his hands.
A gash made itself visible in the moonlight, stretching from his cheek to the corner of his mouth.
Doing this also let (y/n) get a proper look at the boy.
The pain in his lavender eyes and the dirt in his peach colored hair made his heart hurt more.

"Oh, you poor thing... do you mind if I bring you to my friend's house? I can get you all patched up and he can make you something to eat?"

(Y/n) offered with a soft smile, opening his arms to the boy.
The boy hesitated but nodded, hugging (y/n) again and getting scooped up into his arms.

"Say, what's your name, kid?"

"Sabito.."

"Well, Sabito, thank you for trusting me."

(Y/n) spoke in a soft tone as he stood up and began running back to his things.
On the way, Sabito fell asleep tightly holding on to (y/n)'s haori.
When he got back to the path, Urokodaki stood carrying the dummies and plant soil surrounded by a aura of annoyance.

"Who's that?"

He asked in a stern voice, referring to the boy (y/n) held close to him.

"He got attacked by a demon and he's got no family to turn to. His name is Sabito and I'm helping him like I promised the boy. I also believe he may turn out to be quite the successor for you, my calm Cornflower!"

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《~Fin.~》

1537 words not including these!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

Alrighty, I want to make it clear that I don't actually know how Urokodaki found Sabito or how he got his scar but for the story's sake this is how it happened! Also, until further notice the boy is 7 because I'm trying to stick to timeliness and numbers that I've made! Anywho, I hope you've enjoyed this chapter, my dear reader! It was very interesting to write and I'm glad it was much longer than the last few I've written! With that, I hope you have a lovely day/night!

《•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•》

《{Secrets unlocked: x3!}》

《{(Y/n) was late by 10 minutes but Urokodaki told him he was late by 30!}》

《{Sabito was in awe at (y/n)s speed but he was too scared to admire him for long!}》

《{A particular hashira had seen the whole thing but (y/n) was too focused on helping Sabito to care!}》