Forty-One: Images of Domestic and Foreign Discoveries

Maryanland, September 29, 2040, 7:30 AM.

My mouth dropped hearing his words, but I knew he was making the right suggestion. We cannot afford to stay longer than necessary, so I don't want to waste time dwelling on my reddening cheeks. Any other circumstance would have allowed me the time to gasp at him for making me feel shy, but not now.

Nodding in consent, "carry me. But don't you dare tickle me. One, I'm extremely ticklish. Two, I cannot guarantee not injuring you with a violent jerk." Flynn chuckles, shaking his head before resting his hands on either side of my waist. He looks at me, frozen for a moment, "is this okay?" I smile and nod; it truly is okay. Maybe it's the warmth of his hands or knowing that it's him. But my hesitancy towards physical touch lowers a significant amount in his presence.

He nods in confirmation before a strong pair of arms lifts me a good 3 feet above the ground. Although that isn't much, I try not to look down. Heights make me nauseous.

I hope he's not looking at my behind, though. I would say ass, but the aesthetic of this office makes me want to censor my usual vulgar language. Wait, I said it anyway.

My attention returns to the supreme matters soon after. I point at the file Flynn mentioned earlier to confirm I'm getting the right one.

"This is the file you want, right?"

Silence.

"Uh, yeah, sure, that one."

My eyebrows furrow at the unsureness in his voice.

"Why do you sound hesitant? Is it this file or not? We can look for another one if you changed your mind."

The hands holding me high tighten, "no, really, it's that one."

Deciding to investigate the matter myself, I look down to see what's going on down there. Where Flynn is, I mean. That doesn't make it sound any better.

The sight of a tense Flynn with a grinding jaw and clenched eyes makes me let out a quiet cackle. His face isn't facing my behind as I had thought. It instead comically faces his right. Oh, I get it.

He must have felt the movement in his hands; I see him attempt to open his eyes before shutting them. I watch him shake his head multiple times and decide I should let him out of his misery.

"It's okay to look, Flynn. You won't faint if you look ahead, I promise. If it makes you feel better, open your eyes to make sure this is the file, then close them for as long as you please." He gives a curt nod while I try not to laugh again. One of his eyes opens a sliver, enough to look and see where my hand is. Said dark eye closed as soon as it opened. After repeating my words, he nods two more times. I take that as a yes, and grab the file out of its organized pile while trying not to disturb the order.

Placing the file in one hand, I pat Flynn's shoulder with the other, "you can put me down now."

Soon enough, my feet touch the ground. I, however, couldn't stop looking at a flustered Flynn. I cover my unflattering smile with my hand. He catches onto me, narrowing his eyes when he does. "The way you're looking at me and smiling is cute, but that had me flustered to death." Flynn grabs my hand, "don't cover your smile. And I know you're probably thinking that me feeling flustered right now is payback for all those times."

"You are indeed correct, my dear," I pinch his cheek. He's too pretty- I cannot help it.

Sighing, the weight of the world darkens the surrounding air. We have urgent matters to get to.

"Okay, let's get to work," I handed him the file. He takes it, and I let him read it. He's good at finding hidden details, and a job like this is fit for someone with his talent. I step closer to him, looking over his side to get a peek at the papers. He lowers them enough for me to see, which I thank him for with a smile.