Eight: Images of A Confirmation

Maryanland, September 07, 2040 1:03 AM

Oh, my god. Squirrels are some aggressive fuckers.

My usual boring walk home took a thrilling turn when I fed my leftover almonds from lunch to two squirrels. I'm not one to focus on my physical health, but almonds, being heart healthy, stand as my pathetic excuse to devour half a bag of them without shame.

My desire to live at least past fifty is the reason why two squirrels are at each other's heads right now. I had about ten almonds left and gave each squirrel five. Mashallah Azail, your math is nothing short of phenomenal. My equal treatment did not sit well with the smaller brown squirrel, and she's now attacking the other poor squirrel. They're right about small people being feisty because the larger black squirrel cannot make a single attempt at fighting back. The other shorty won't give her a chance.

I knew both of them were girls because of an animal documentary I watched one random night feeling like a bored insomniac. The half-hour segment about squirrels taught me about nothing other than how to distinguish male and female squirrels. And that they like to eat nuts and baby snakes.

Shocked me to my core.

Deciding to help the poor thing, I bend down and pick up my little miss temper. Holding her up to my face with my right hand, my other hand pointing at her in a scolding manner. Keeping her steady in my hand was difficult because she kept squirming to free herself. Classic, get caught in the act, then make yourself act innocent.

"Why are you annoying her? Huh? I gave you the same amount, so why are you in a fighting frenzy? Leave her alone." I scolded the squirrel as if she were a child.

I dare my kids to treat their siblings or anyone like this. I'm not about to bring another asshole into the world when there are many living with us already.

As if it understood my words, the squirming squirrel's vigorous movements came to a stop. "Good job. Go home or wherever you live, and stay safe, I guess." I bid goodbye, my voice lowering to a gentle whisper. Damn, with how I'm talking, any passerby would think I'm talking to a friend. Animals are my friends, so they're correct. I prefer them over humans any day.

Groaning because of my aching back as I bend down to let the squirrel go, I look around and notice that the other one has taken the reign of my front yard. Was I walking that whole time?

I operate on autopilot, and that's a fact. I walked myself along with two squirrels home without a single speck of awareness in my subconscious. I could swear I stopped walking at some point to talk with the squirrels. Azail, girl, you're reaching a questionable state.

Back to the black squirrel that's about to evict me from the look of her stance. I notice the Hijo de puta that I want to remember and forget.

The projector I threw sits upright about ten feet from the window to my room, loud and proud. Maybe not proud, but bright. The familiar blinding light shines through the lens, pointing right at the oak tree standing a little further to the right of my window. I must've forgotten to turn it off when I threw it in my rage. My eyebrows raise in shock at how it's still on. Hmm, interesting.

Both squirrels come to a stand at my feet while facing the tree. Their small arms shoved any remaining pieces of almonds in their mouth to store for later. I can't help but smile at their cuteness. Their tiny arms cross as they look at the tree, then back up at me. Glistening wetness covers my eyes. They're so cute that they're making me cry. I shake my head at my habit of crying as a response to seeing cute things. Exchanging my gaze from the babies to the tree, it clicks. The tree must be where the squirrels live, and the bright light doesn't have a welcoming aura. Oh, sorry babies, I'll move it in a second.