Twenty-Two: Images of Friends Who Are Better Than All

Maryanland, September 19, 2040, 7:30 PM

"... and mama freaked out, so I had to carry Malak to the nearest clinic at four past midnight. The doctor looked at us like we were crazy when he said that all she had was a minor fever. But my mom freaks out about the smallest things."

To make the sad atmosphere from earlier dissipate, I started asking random ass questions about whatever I could think of. From his favorite color to his favorite movie to his damn sleeping schedule. To be frank, I don't care about any of those things, I'd rather ask about the deep and shit full of drama. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Even if that includes asking questions about things you would forget right after receiving an answer. Seeing the stress leave his features, however, made me give a little ounce of care about receiving his answers.

And here we are, now on the topic of his family, talking about khalto and her constant freakouts, to be precise.

Ideas about the questions to ask him were running out, but yet again, bless my friends. When I geared up to ask him about his favorite clothing item, a distant shout beat me to speaking. "Hi! Your favorite people are here! Azail's favorite people, I don't know who Flynn's favorite people are." This sounds like such a Lyaly thing to say, but I damn near gasp when I crane my head to the left and realize it's Sapphire that spoke.

Are they drunk?

I mean, they're of legal age, that's why I assumed.

"Hi, my favorite people," I greet.

Lyaly hugs me, but in her style, that means jumping on my lap and almost cutting off the blood circulation to my brain. Sapphire, the ever so careful person they are, fist bumps me.

"Hi Aza, Hi Flynn, how's everything and the kids?"

Shit, she hasn't let go of that.

One time, I made the mistake of developing a habit of greeting them by saying "hi, how are the kids?" By the looks of it, she liked the sound of it too much. Enough for her to remind me of it whenever she can.

Flynn furrows his eyebrows in understandable confusion. Time for the humor patrol to interfere.

"We have this inside joke where we sometimes say that whenever we see each other. If you haven't figured it out, none of us have kids. But saying that makes us feel grown up for whatever reason."

The three of us laugh in unison when his confusion turns into a perplexed understanding. He still deals with our tradition and nods his head before telling us how his kids are.

"Everything is the same as it was the last time we saw each other, with the addition of us discovering some crazy ass shit. But my kids are fine, thanks for asking."

A man? That doesn't look shameful about my humor? Who jokes back? I must marry him on the double.

Yeah, say you marry him, how fun would it sound if both of you lived in two different homes? Even better, how would you like not even living in the same world?

Just because you can ask some questions doesn't mean you should ask said questions.

I'll make it work.

Where's that asylum when you need it? My delusions are getting worse.

"Good to hear! The part about the kids, not the part where everything is still the same." I take a look at Sapphire before we both laugh at Lyaly's words.

Flynn joins us in laughing but answers Lyaly. "Thank you, always very kind," although his words would sound like a joke if others said them, I can hear the genuine appreciation in them. He's so fucking good, I hate it.