One: Images of My Future

Ten years later

Maryanland, September 05, 2040 6:10 AM

The human mind acts as a blessing and a curse. Convenient in some times but fatal in others.

There is no use in fighting against insomnia to get some sleep. It will always win, no matter its competitor. Staring at the old compass in my hand brings a heavy weight to my chest and many splendid memories in my head. Sighing myself out of the reminiscing thoughts, I leave my warm bed.

People over forty say there is a bright life to live in the outside world. I will take their word for it.

I should not have much to complain about, to my delight. Everything in my room has always been like this, no matter the planet we inhabit. From furniture to set up, everything is the same. My bed, alongside my dresser and desk, were the only furniture my parents allowed me to bring from our former home. The large boat resembling a spaceship housed thousands of other people who joined the frantically fleeing bandwagon. If I didn't look at Earth for the last time out of the gigantic window while we were evacuating, I would have thought I was on a cruise ship instead.

The memories of the week before we started packing for evacuation occurred when I looked at the colorful sky outside my window.

"We're getting on that spaceship as soon as we can. We're bringing ourselves and some important furniture and clothes, along with our legal documents."

My father told my mother while eating dinner the night he returned from the hospital.

My mom, now skeptical, says, "Is this Titan moon you read about really what you're making it seem to be? I doubt a government official would be this helpful during a crisis." Going back to her dinner not long after.

"Yes, Sandy, I am. We are leaving as soon as we can. I assure you we can have a brighter future there. All the people we know have left Earth. I will not risk the safety of my family staying here. I don't care if the so-called invaders are human. There is no humanity in their actions."

My father looks at me when he says "family."

That was the first time he looked at me with love in his eyes ever since he woke up from his long sleep at the hospital.

I fucking hated that spaceship, the journey that took years, the lack of empathy from other passengers, everything. We had an undecided fate; I understand. But that didn't mean they had to make it miserable for everyone.

My life looks simple. Apart from the part where I watched my home planet meet its end by other humans who thought it was their destiny to do so. Or my inability to adjust to this place even a decade later, or- whatever.

I walk about three steps before taking a seat on the same chair I have wanted to replace for years. Its lack of sidearms had always been the bane of my existence. Craning my head to make sure the lock on my door hadn't budged, I pull out a box hidden in the lowermost drawer of my wooden desk that my mother thinks is too little to inspect.

Considering myself a resident in this household feels impossible. Having parents who forgot about their daughter does not help raise my morale either.

My steps are hard to hear, my room is always quiet, and I leave when I remember I need food to survive. The more hidden I stay, the better. My parents do a great job of ignoring me, anyway.

Shaking my thoughts away, I open the drawer and pull out a map.

Not a geographical map since directions are not my forte. Sky directions are.

No, stop, Astronomy, ew.

My eyes light up upon seeing the house I will build, my dream home.

Ironically, it will be here. Most places I know the directions to and from are my clinic, grocery stores, home, an elementary school, and the park. But I would remember every route possible to my perfect hone.