Forty: Images of a Planned Operation

Mulai dari awal

"This will be over and hopefully done with as soon as we have a good lead, I promise you, with my life. You won't stay in that poisonous place much longer. I won't let you. Let's fight through it a little more, a happy ending awaits you. Well, I can guarantee a happy ending with me," I crane my head up to get a look at him. We exchange today's first and only genuine smiles before his arms tighten around my form, pushing us closer. I'm glad I caused that.

"What would I do without you, huh?" he sighs. His question almost sounds rhetorical, almost as if he didn't want me to answer it. "You would've been single as hell," I joke to lighten the mood, and we share a laugh.

Alas, jokes and hugs can't last forever when other things have to get taken care of in between.

Getting out of each other's homelike hold, we both share a look.

"Should anything go wrong, you get out of here without a second thought, okay?" calloused hands rub my cheeks as a worried voice warns. I nod, "you will too, right?"

A bucket full of ice water drops on top of me when the smooth elegance in his demeanor halts at my words. The worry from the mere idea of both of us not getting out of here makes me widen my eyes in anger, ready to reprimand him.

"Right, Flynn?" I press, tightening my hold around his waist in case he didn't hear the emotion in my voice.

He averts his eyes, sighing. That's not a good sign. Flynn is a man full of desire for eye contact, and what he just did does not ease my worry.

"Wallahi Flynn, if you pull some shit where you don't leave the place the moment danger arrives, I will chase you with a machete. Even better, why don't I stay in there with you, huh? How will you like that?"

His gaze returns to mine in seconds, now angry, "what did I just say, Azail?" Nuh-uh, that won't work on me.

Narrowing my eyes in a glare, "no, what did I just say? Flynn, you will not stay in there for longer than necessary. That's not a request, it's an order. If I have to go in there to do the research by myself, I will. Putting yourself in danger all to reach potential failure won't benefit you. You don't have to tell me why you're adamant about staying there for as long as possible. You want to not miss a single clue, and I don't either. Yet, I will not risk our safety for whatever reason. I don't want to make this about me, but I beg you not to add to my already skyrocketing anxiety. Please follow your instructions and leave without a second thought, too. Please?" Using the habit that makes my eyes water, I pull the puppy eyes, hoping they will work.

His gaze leaves mine again before he mutters a small curse as he stares at the moving traffic. I guess that means he's admitting defeat. Success.

Trying to conceal my winning smile doesn't work when Flynn catches it the second it happens. His face shows a lighter version of the worry from earlier, but I relax after seeing one corner of his mouth lift.

He leans down to kiss my temple, "okay, I promise. Sorry for causing the worry, I'm glad you understand." Nodding my head, I rub his back. "Don't apologize, but don't take my forgiveness as a reason to break your promise. Let's get this shit over and done with and come out unscathed."

With one last hug, we separate and make our way inside. As planned, Flynn and I will look over however many floors past the ones Vega Flynn works in. Assuming that is where our mysterious hint will be. Walking in slow steps, I cherish the sound of Flynn's loud footsteps. He suggested doing this to remind me of his presence, which my anxiety appreciates. I told him to stay behind me in case he gets recognized, so I could be his shield against whatever wrath these bastards will throw at him. It took a while to convince him. But he always agrees with whatever I tell him, so it was a piece of cake.