Three: Images of My Dream in A Strange Land

Start from the beginning

One lady once requested to hold my hand as she described a traumatic experience. Frozen, not knowing how to act, I looked at doctor Mohammad. With a gentle wave of his calloused hand, I got the okay.

I love my job. It raises my serotonin levels, unlike where I'm heading.

The closer I get home, the higher my urge to sleep over at Sapphire's place increases. I've done that many times already. Their room is almost always empty since their little sister drags them to sleep in her room instead. Her nightmares had never left her ever since their parents passed away. Poor baby can never sleep in her room alone. She always wakes up crying in the middle of the night. I consoled her the first few times it happened before Sapphire took over when they found out.

Four years ago.

I lay sleeping on Sapphire's worn-down couch in the living room. My poor self fell victim to my mother's yelling this morning. Her reason for today is my boisterous morning routine before work. Not wanting to deal with more of her hurtful words, I made my way to my friend's apartment after work. Even if it was cold and I had to walk another 15 minutes despite feeling exhausted, it was worth it. I haven't had rest that was this peaceful in years.

Who knew my friend's place would be this calming at the late hours of the night?

I was in the kitchen having a glass of cold water during said late hours when I heard whimpers.

My eyes widen before I put my cup in the sink. I go to Sapphire's room to check on them. That is when I realized the whimpers were not coming from their room.

They were coming from Ruby's room.

I knock on the door before I walk in. I didn't about asking for permission to enter. Poor girl is crying, for god's sake.

The sight broke my heart.

Ruby, sitting up on her bed, trying to wrap the blanket she has had since she was a baby around her.

I make slow steps to her bed, trying not to scare her or wake up Sapphie. She moves over to give me room to sit on her bed.

"What's wrong, Ruby?" I ask in a gentle tone, wiping away her tears.

The now sobbing 6-year-old jumps into my arms, her face wedged in my neck before she replies.

"I m-miss, miss, mommy, and daddy, Aza," her voice shakes out the words.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry." I stand up with her in my arms, my hand rubbing her back in circular motions as I sway both of us.

Their parent's fatal accident has brought such a heavy burden on their soft hearts. I hate it.

While she is still crying, I grab her pillow and blanket and sit on her bed, leaning my back against her headboard. I place her pillow at my feet before laying her down on my legs. Both of her legs rest on either side of my middle. Her head lays on the pillow on my feet. I move my legs side-to-side, coaxing her to go back to sleep.

It's a method my parents tried on me, works like a charm.

"Both of you do not deserve to feel this much hurt. Trust me, you have the best sibling ever, and vice versa. No one will help you through this better than them. But give both of yourselves a break, okay?" I fix her bonnet so it won't bother her, which makes her tickle my finger. I pinch her cheek because she's just that adorable before speaking with a large grin.

"There is so much that both of you can handle when you take care of your sibling through this. But I promise you that the person who will devote their life to raising you will do a great job. Sapphire is an amazing person. You will see what I mean as you grow up. Your parents will always watch over both of you. They will be so proud of you guys for fighting through everything. And don't forget me and Lyly are always here for the both of you, okay?" I whisper my words as I rub her aching tummy.