37

A few days after that awful encounter with my parents, I'm finally ready to face another difficult but necessary situation : Talking to Zoe De Melo.

It can either go well or terribly wrong and honestly, the latter seems more likely to me. After all, my plan to hurt Zoe worked but not in the way I expected. I stole her brother, the only person she ever cared about. Worse than just kidnapping him, I somehow made him fall in love and he decided to stay with me willingly, turning his back to his sister. I don't have any siblings but I'm certain that must sting, especially with everything that happened between Zoe and me.

Yet, when I reached out to her on Instagram and asked for a meeting, she agreed instantly. I texted :

Hey Zoe. Could we meet ? I'd like to talk to you.

She responded :

Sure. Here's my localisation.

A shiver ran down my spine after I read her strange reply. Abel told me that she's no longer living at her boyfriend's place and so, I'm not surprised when she sends me the adress of her parents' home. But why is she being so compliant ? It doesn't seems like her.

Despite all the swarning bells ringing in my head, I make a plan to go see her. When Abel asks me where I'm headed to, I tell him that I'm meeting with my cousin Bianca.

« Oh. Say hi to her for me. »

I straddle him on the couch where he's sat and kiss him hard. Just in case Zoe murders me today, I want to take the taste of Abel's lips with me in my grave. He laughs at my overflowing energy without really knowing what it hides. He traces my lower lip with his thumb.

« I'll be missing you every second so you better come back fast. »

« I will. »

After one last peck on his cheek, I wave at him goodbye and head out.

Zoe's parents live in a side of Mindelo I've never been at except for that one time, years and years ago, when my dad dropped me off to the worst and only birthday party I ever attended. It's a very nice neighborhood facing the port. The beautiful homes facing the water can watch countless ships going from one island to the other. To some people, these ships are like taxis they ride twice a day to commute to and from work. I find it so fascinating.

I park in front of the residence I recognize despite all the time that have gone by but I don't get out of my car immediately. I stare at the busy port while vaping to clear my mind. I don't want to be impulsive today. Perhaps I will have the most sincere and important conversation of my life with Zoe and I don't want to screw it up. After all, this will determine the future for the three of us.

I get out of the car after several minutes, shaking my shoulders in an attempt to get rid of all the grudge I carried throughout the last few years. I ring the bell to their residence, reminding myself ot my therapist's words. He says it's pointless to carry resentment and he's right. But will I be able to remember this once I will be face-to-face with Zoe ?