33

"Zoe, can I come in?"

Abel waits for a few seconds but receives no answer. It's not so surprising though, considering that his older sister doesn't want to talk to him anymore. He still opens the door to her bedroom and walks in with the breakfast tray.

He finds her sitting at the desk facing her window. She isn't working or anything, just looking out at the city and...Thinking.

"Zoe? I didn't know you were already awake."

Still no reaction. Abel puts his tray in front of her with a proud smile. Zoe quickly glances at the warm waffles and juice before staring out the window again. Abel can't hide his disappointment.

"I made these especially for you...Took me all morning. Aren't you going to take a bite at least?"

"Leave me alone, Abel."

Her voice sounds almost sick. Abel drags a chair so he can sit right next to his sister. He takes her hand between both of his and gives it a squeeze. Finally, Zoe turns to meet his eyes.

"I can't leave you alone." He tells her. "You're my sister and I hate that you're mad at me...It's been two months, Zoe. Don't you think I've been punished enough?"

"This is not a punishment, Abel. I'm just giving you the independence you always wanted. You should be happy that I'm not ordering you around anymore."

"Come on, you know this is not what I want...I miss you."

Abel notices a slight change in his sister's attitude. She wriggled a bit on her chair and cleared her throat. Abel smiled.

"Do you miss me too, Zoe?"

"Shut up."

"I know you do...I'm still your little bro."

"No, you're not. You've changed."

"As your brother, I can assure you that I'm still the same, Zoe. But I also want you to respect my decisions in life...There are things that you just can't control about me. Like, you don't see me messing with your relationships, do you? I trust in your feelings and I support you all the time, even when I don't agree with your choices. Why can't you do the same for me?"

"That's because you don't know what's good for you, Abel...You're young and unaware of people's schemes."

"I'm twenty, Zoe. You're only four years older than me. I don't think that makes an impressive age difference."

Zoe sighs heavily.

"How about this?" Abel adds. "You let me take my own decisions and make mistakes. I'll learn from those and grow on my own. Occasionally, I'll also come cry in your arms and tell you that you were right for advising me against this or that...Does this sound fair?"

Zoe gives it a thought. She hums before asking:

"Will you tell me everything about your life? No secrets at all."

"Of course I will. You can give me advice too and I promise I'll keep them in mind."

She tilts her head to the side. Abel watches as a pretty smile starts to draw on his sister's face. Immense relief washes through him. Zoe doesn't look so dull anymore and seeing her in a better mood is comforting to him.

"I'm sorry for telling you about dad's death..." She speaks softly. "I don't know what got into me, it was supposed to be a secret I'd take to the grave."

Abel shakes his head.

"It's okay, I'm not upset about that...Our father was a terrible person and he got what he deserved...I don't regret anything."