24

Lucky for me, I knew how to swim. I crawled my way out of the pool with lungs full of water. I cough hard as some of the other kids drag me to my feet, pushing me around and laughing.

"You think you will come here and join our circle that easily?"

"Who do you think you are, ugly?"

"Get the fuck out of here, no one wants you."

In the midst of that entire chaos, I saw Zoe, lounging by the pool with other girls. They laugh at the scene like it's some sort of entertainment. I'm so disgusted by it all that I can help puking my guts out. I soil myself after spending hours just to choose my outfit. The other kids move away from me with scowls on their faces.

"You're disgusting!"

"What a pig..."

I remember hoping that someone would come and put an end to my torture but no one ever did. When Zoe stood up, she didn't tell her friends to leave me alone. She just got her phone and took a picture of me in my worst state, humiliated and broken.

"I hope you will stick around for cutting the cake." She said in an overly sweet tone.

I hated her. I hated her so much that I wanted to see her dead. I imagined pulling her hair, poking her eyes out, beating her to death. Yet, I remained frozen in place, covered in my own vomit and freezing cold.

As if on cue, a maid arrived, holding her birthday cake. Her friends sang for her, as I stood there, ignored by all. I couldn't leave because I didn't know my way home. Dad dropped me off and he wasn't going to pick me up until two more hours.

I had no other choice but to watch Zoe blow her candles and receive hugs and kisses from her friends. The maid threw a quick, worried glance in my direction.

"What are you still doing here?" Zoe said to her. "Go on."

The maid only lowered her head and leaves. As soon as she's gone, Zoe made her friends bring me to her seat, on my knees. She force-fed me a piece of cake, using her hands. She spread cream and chocolate on my face, roaring with laughter as if it was the funniest thing in the world.

How could a child be so cruel? Maybe she wasn't human, I thought. She was a cruel witch.

Her friends did everything she asked them to without considering how much they were hurting me. That night was definitely the worst in my life. I became the punching bag, assaulted in the most humiliating way by these kids who had no limits.

Around the time when my dad was supposed to come pick me up, Zoe took me to her room. She helped me change into one of her own dresses and dried my hair. She stood right behind me but I could see her piercing, cold eyes through her bathroom's mirror.

"Say one word about what happened here tonight and I swear I will make you regret it. Understood?"

I nodded but it was as if I was out of my body. Nothing felt real enough. Zoe patted my shoulder.

"It's all your fault, you know. You took it without defending yourself...You're weak."

I nodded again because that's exactly what I was thinking. I should have defended myself.

Dad came to pick me up. Zoe told him that I got sick and puked on my dress. On our way back, Dad tried to question me about that night but I remained quiet, just like I promised Zoe.

I thought that would be the end of it but I was wrong. It was hell every day after that birthday party. Zoe had sent the photo she took of me to everyone in the school and there were videos as well, taken by her friends. Even the kids who were not present at the party saw me getting humiliated and somehow, they felt entitled to bully me too.