31

I spend the night on my living room's couch and wake up the next day with a foggy brain. It's already midday and my entire body hurts after spending seven hours in the same uncomfortable position.

The first thing I do is check my phone for any missed call from Abel. There is none. Though I'm disappointed and hurt, the good thing is that officers haven't showed up to my place yet. How long until they finally do ?

Maybe it will be good to go to jail. Perhaps it will be easier to cope with life that way. I just can't imagine going back to my routines before bringing Abel here...What was it like, then ? I can't even remember. My life is a big blur ever since middle school and Abel is the first meaningful thing that happened to me. Now, it's gone forever.

I make myself a cup of coffee in the kitchen. I'm slightly relieved when I hear the buzzing of my doorbell. I was starting to get a little worried at the prospect of staying here with my insanity as sole company.

Through the interphone, I see Bianca's pissed off face. I unlock the door for her and return to the living-room. She joins me a few minutes later. I sip my coffee with a blank stare on my face, already expecting her to pour her disappointment on me. She clears her throat :

« Where is he ? »

« He's not here, Bianca. » I sigh. « I let him go, okay ? Happy ? »

« No. No, not happy. What was going through your mind, Carla ? »

« I don't know. I guess your cousin has mental health issues and never bothered to go see a therapist...Did you tell anyone ? »

« ...No. I didn't think that would be the best way to help you. »

Bianca sits down next to me. She looks really worried. For someone as carefree as her, this expression doesn't suit her. I feel guilty for putting her through this.

« Can you explain to me why you did this ? » She wonders.

« ...To hurt someone who hurt me. »

I proceed to tell the full story to Bianca. I reveal Zoe's bullying and how it resulted to my kidnapping all those years ago. I tell her how I started brewing this plan for revenge and how I put it into place. Bianca listens without interrupting me.

« I'm so useless that I ended up falling in love with him, the brother of my worst ennemy. He says he likes me too but honestly, I don't think I shoul believe that. He was supposed to tell his sister everything and come back to me right away as you can see, he's not here. Maybe he already told the police and I can't even blame him. »

I start crying and feel even more pathetic. Bianca holds my hand, surely out of pity.

« I don't think he's going to report this to the police, Carla...Otherwise he'd have done it already. I think he chose to do the right thing instead, which is to put an end to this strange romance between the both of you. »

I don't hide how offended I feel. Bianca quickly adds :

« I'm sorry for saying it Carla but this is definitely not healthy. It's weird. You cannot date the boy that you kidnapped and locked up in your basement, okay ? I understand what made you do it but you can't dwell in this energy anymore...You need psychological help and you need to stay away from Abel and his sister. »

My jaw tightens. I don't agree with her, I refuse to call the feelings I have for Abel weird. I've never had more beautiful sentiments toward another person.

« It's not unhealthy, Bianca. I've been the most sane version of myself since he came into my life. »

« Well that's not normal and I think Abel did the right thing by putting an end to this. »

Is that really what he's trying to do ? Is he giving me a chance to become a better person by staying away from me ?

My phone starts to ring. I pick it up and my eyes almost fall out of my skull after reading Abel's name on the screen. I jump off of the couch and hurry to the kitchen before responding to his call.

« Abel. » I sigh in relief. « I've been waiting for you... »

« How are you, Carla ? »

He speaks in a hushered voice. I frown.

« I'm okay...Is everything alright on your side ? »

« Mm...Not really. Listen, I think we won't be able to see each other for a while. I told my sister and...She's not okay, Carla. Zoe is losing her mind and she needs me now more than ever...I think I also need to check on myself. I discovered that I...I killed my biological father. »

« Oh my God...Did Zoe tell you that ? »

« Yeah and she didn't make it up. I kind of remember it happening. She's not the only one who's been affected by our difficult past. I also need to take care of my mental health before focusing on a relationship. »

« Oh...Okay. »

« I'm sorry for not being there right now. But I'm not giving up on us, okay ? I just need a little time to process things. You understand, right ? »

« Yeah, absolutely. I guess I should use this time to work on myself too. »

« Yes. And I promise I'll combe back to you as soon as I can. »

« Sure. Thanks for calling Abel. »

« Talk to you soon. »

The call ends. Tears trickle down on my kitchen's counter and I sob quietly. This was definitely his way of saying goodbye to me. Abel chose to stay with his sister. Clearly, it's impossible for him to keep us both in his life and he got rid of me...Of course. Who am I anyway ? Maybe Bianca is right. He never meant to come back here.

My cousin comes to find me a while later. She hugs me and lets me cry to my heart content.

« I think I've just been dumped. » I say between laughter and cries.

Bianca shakes her head with a little smille tugging at her lips.

« Good for you. Now you can focus on something else and put this entire episode behind you, okay ? Let's go to a therapist. Together. »

« Okay... »

« And you should meet with Milo again. »

« Milo ? »

« Yeah. Remember Milo ? That really nice guy your parents set you up with ? Exactly...You should give him a chance now and see what an healthy relationship is like, Carla. Forget about Abel. »

I nod like it's going to be that easy. But easy or not, I should give it a try at least, right ? That's probably what he wants me to do.

« You can't let your life revolve around Zoe anymore. » Bianca tells me. « The true power is when you let go of the grudge and move on. I've never met anyone stronger that you, Minha Prima...If you can't do it, then who can ? »

I smile at Bianca.

« I never knew you were this eloquent... »

« Oh. There are many things to discover, Carla. Amazing things. You'll see. »

I lose myself in my cousin's arm once more, hoping with all my heart that she's right.