9

The police station of Mindelo is certainly the funniest place I have ever seen in my life

The police station of Mindelo is certainly the funniest place I have ever seen in my life. As soon as we arrive, we are confronting with the issue of parking. Martim and I have to drive quite further away to get empty spots. I have decided to ride in my own car while Zoe and Fabiola are in Martim's.

After parking our cars, we walk the rest of the way back to the police station, which you could easily confuse for a cheap market. Vendors have laid large boxes and stalls on the ground. They have also taken over the entire sidewalk and some of them are so close to the road that I'm concerned for their safety.

There isn't a thing they don't sell here, from street foods to clothes and toys. Customers and vendors speak all in one tone, creating a loud brouhaha of laughter, disputes and gossiping. The stall owners call us as we pass by, hoping to lure us into buying something.

Zoe's nose is scrunched and her jaw tight. She walks straight without offering a single glance to the people around. Martim holds her close to his side and I think he is whispering reassuring words to her but I can't be sure. Fabiola is walking right behind them with me. I give her a strange look when she suddenly intertwines our arms as if we are, I don't know, besties. What's with this attitude, anyway? Zoe does the same thing too. Why do they pretend to be close with me when I'm practically a stranger?

"I'm really craving some cachupa." She tells me with a little laugh. "I wouldn't mind inhaling a big bowl of it. Do you think we can get some for lunch?"

"Uhm..."

Cachupa is Cape Verde's national dish made with beans, seasoned meat and vegetables. It's absolutely delicious but as much a people love it here, I think most would agree that this situation is far from adequate to think about lunch. Luckily for Fabiola, Zoe didn't hear her.

"Oops." She says, noting the way I glanced at her supposed friend. "Right, right...We shall starve ourselves until Abel is found!"

Sarcasm is literally dripping from her mouth. Fabiola rolls her eyes and let go of my arms as we get inside the police station. Huh. Zoe really won the jackpot with this one, didn't she?

The inside of the police station is even more chaotic than the outside. We might have come at the wrong time too. Most of the officers seem to be taking their breaks. They stand by the halls, talking and laughing with each other. We grasp bits of their conversation and it's clear that Fabiola isn't the only one thinking about lunch, right now.

All of this gives me a sense of déjà vu. Nothing has changed despite all these years. The police is still failing to take its jobs seriously in Mindelo. But well, I guess I should not complain about their incompetency right now.

"Hey! How can I help you, guys?"

A female officer sitting behind a counter stops us before we can go any further. She stares at all of us through half-closed lids. If I didn't know any better, I would say that she's high. Or bored out of her mind.