13

I try to think of what Zoe's reaction would be if she knew I kissed Abel

I try to think of what Zoe's reaction would be if she knew I kissed Abel. In all the scenarios playing in my mind, there's not one of them in which she'd actually take it well. Instead, I imagine her becoming hysterical and pulling her own hair out. Perhaps she'd even want to hurt me and make me pay for staining her beautiful, perfect little brother. Just thinking about it makes me want to renew the experience.

And then, there's of course the memory of what it felt to have Abel's lips against mine. He was not gentle, that's for sure, but I enjoyed his eagerness. He made it seem like he really wanted me. If I hadn't been so taken by surprise, I think I would have let him kiss me some more.

But as pleasurable as it was, the logical part in me acknowledges that this shouldn't have happened. I was meant to bring Abel here and torture him. So far, I've done nothing of the sort. We kissed instead and this feels more like a game of cat and mouse. He isn't cowering in fear at my sight or begging me not to end his life. I've completely failed at terrorizing him.

I huff in frustration at this realization and cross my arms over my chest. I can't figure out if I just make a lousy kidnapper or if this kid actually managed to get under my skin.

I think it's more of the latter. When I try to imagine another person in his position, I certainly don't feel as lenient and forgiving. I would have been very aggressive toward anyone who slammed me against a wall or tackled me to the ground. Yet, when Abel did it, I kind of felt some sort of amusement and it never reached the point of wild anger, as it should have.

Does this make any sense? Certainly not to me. I thought nothing could get in the way of my desire for revenge but something about Abel's pretty face is just making me question everything, including my abilities into carrying out with this plan.

I'm barely out of his hideout that I want to get back in there and spend more time with him. I want a conversation and try to know him better. Someone who kisses his kidnapper is definitely intriguing enough to analyze, no? I wasn't thinking of giving him any more food today but maybe I should get him dinner and see if he'll talk to me...

I retrieve his phone in my bedroom to check if Zoe has reacted. It's been silent since I sent her the picture of Abel in his cage. I would do anything to know how she's feeling right now. I'm debating if I should give her a call or not when I hear the sound of my buzzer.

I have a visitor.

I quickly hide Abel's phone and run back down on my tippy toes. Is it the police? Zoe couldn't have figured out everything and sent them to my house, right? My heart is going crazy as I get to the entrance and check the monitor. I sigh in relief when I recognize the car parked by the gates. I press the button to open them and wait.

Five minutes later, mom and dad walk into my home. They meet me in the hallway for quick hugs.

"Mom, dad!" I smile. "Thanks for passing by. It's so nice to see you."