34

I hear the buzzing of my doorbell and groan instantly. Why can't people just leave me alone ? I don't want to see anyone right now. Maybe if I don't answer they'll just go away and forget about me forever ?

No.

The longer I remain in my laid down position on the bed, the more insistant the buzzing becomes. Even slamming a pillow over my head doesn't help to tune it all out.

« Ugh...Lord have mercy. »

I drag myself out of bed, still wrapped in my blanket. I'm in such an awful mood, I don't know what I'm about to do to the person knocking at my door right now. I take my sweet time to get down the stairs and to the hall. Meanwhile, the buzzing doesn't cease. I look through the interphone and tilt my head to the side.

I wonder if I'm still confused from my lack of sleeping. All I can see is a huge bouquet of red roses, too big to be real. What the hell ? I hate red roses. I open the door and find this man standing in front of me...Or at least, I only se his feet. The upper part of his body is entirely hidden behind the atrocious bouquet.

« What is happening ? »

« Ugh, this is heavy...Will you just...let me in first ? »

I recognize Milo's voice instantly, despite his struggle for breath. I move to the side and allow him to walk in. He carries his... « gift » to the living room and put it by the coffee table. I follow after him with my arms crossed over my chest. I watch him pant and laugh at the same, his face glistening with sweat.

« You have no idea how tough it was to bring this thing until here. » He says.

I have the irresistible urge to ask why he put himself through so much suffering. Did he think I'd be happy ? I mean...Women usually love to receive flowers, right ? The bigger the better ? I don't know...All I can think of is how the petals are currently falling on my beautiful carpet and how I'll have to clean up afterward.

« ...Thank you, Milo. » I say through gritted teeth, tightening my blanket around me.

He senses the dryness in my tone. Milo closes the distance between us, his hands holding both of my arms.

« Look...I know you're still angry at me, Carlita. I'm so sorry, okay ? I didn't mean to be rude to you last night or to just leave like that after an argument. »

« ...You don't have to apologize, Milo. I-... »

« No, really. I do. I have been awful to you and that's very unlike me. I usually know how to keep calm you see, but when it comes to you...I don't know, I guess I love you so much that I become restless...I understand that you have issues and I promised myself that I'd be patient with you but...I'm afraid I added on to your stress last night. Will you forgive me ? »

I pass my tongue over my dry lips, knowig that I'll have to be brutally honest with Milo this time. It hurts me already to do so but I guess it can't be avoided. He needs to know that this is not working for me.

« Do you mind if we sit down for a second ? » I ask.

« Of course, let's sit. »

I have to walk around his bouquet to reach the couch and I resist the urge to just kick it out of my way. God, what's wrong with me ? It's just a bunch of roses, why do I hate them so much ? And to add to my frustration, Milo sits so close to me that our thighs are rubbing against one another. I sigh :

« I have something to tell you. »

« What is it, babe ? »

« We've been dating for a month now...It might not seem like much to you but to me...It feels like an eternity. »