Chapter 10-Third wheel

Start from the beginning

" Why, Zayn?" His father questioned, raising a brow at him.

At this juncture, he's agreed that there's no turning back. Getting married is inevitable in his case so it would only be right if he chooses someone his heart sits right with and Aaliyah is way out of his league.

Forgetting the question that once posed to him earlier,Zayn delved deep into thoughts. The woman he needs to get married to shouldn't only qualify as his wife but someone will help him rule in the future together. After every single thought,the only person that popped into his line of thoughts was Mariya.

Silly, right? Considering she's so mad at him to the extent that she does want to even see him,yet there's no woman who fits into his laid out standards for a wife more than she does and only Allah knows why.
He's ready to do anything to convince her into marrying him. It would be a dare devil move but at least it's better than getting married to Aaliyah.
May Allah give her someone who will suit her but it can't be him. He's had a long history with that woman. An unforgettable and probably unforgivable one.

He'll have to make a move. Talk to Mariya to dissolve their conflict and convince her into marrying him. It will be hard task but the out of it is through.

" Sultan,I won't marry Aaliyah because I have someone else in mind. Trust me, she's good." Zayn finally answered Sultan's question.

" You've got someone in mind and and you never told us? Wait till your mother hears this." Sultan beamed. He was relieved." Who is she,by the way?"

Zayn hesitated a bit before speaking.
" Mariya Malika Gidado. The one Hassan was engaged to."

The smile that Sultan once sported disappeared,so did that of most of the people in the court.

Zayn felt someone's eyes boring holes into his head and he swiveled his see Hamza, Hassan's father, glaring daggers at him.

Zayn only chuckled at the man's marred features as if frowning at him will make him change his mind.

Guess, that was beyond their expectations. Well then, newsflash!

" My prince, I'm afraid this decision of yours is going to give rise to unnecessary rumors in the sultanate." It was the Jakadiya who spoke first. The whole of Kano was eagerly anticipating Hassan's wedding with Mariya before it got called off. It was meant to be one of the best weddings in town but alas,it never came to pass.
Zayn getting married to his cousin's ex-fiancee is definitely going to bring about unnecessary dirty rumors amongst the people, which is not good for someone like him who is the next in line to the throne.

Lately,the royal family of Kano seems to have adopted a habit of dropping the hottest news in the sultanate and beyond.

Emraan's abdication,Mariya and Hassan's wedding announcement and it's termination and now,Zayn is planning to marry Mariya,all in less than a month.

Sounds like some fascinating royal scandal. They keep getting hotter everyday.

" People never get tired of small talk,
Jakadiya." Zayn stated." I've agreed to get married as per the court's advice. Let's just hopes she accepts the proposal."

" Exactly!" The Galadima countered, flashing Zayn a smile." The lady is good,she comes from a prestigious family, What else can we ask for? I think his highness,the prince has made the right decision. Moreover,for how long will the people continue to talk?"

The Galadima's speech kind of had an effect on the court because slowly but sure,the members of the council also put forward their views, supporting Zayn's decision.

" It's a done deal then, In Shaa Allah." Sultan Lawal announced, getting up from his throne.
He reached out a hand towards Zayn and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.
"I'm proud of you,son." He muttered to Zayn before dismissing the court.