32

The sun was almost out as the campers stood by the lake.

Beomgyu pushed one of the canoes towards the shore, to have Lei climb on first.

Lisa and Beomgyu helped Lei sit on the floor of the boat, leaning her back against one of the seats.

Beomgyu helped the girls climb on and then did so himself, before setting off with the little strength he had.

They were all quiet as Beomgyu and Lisa rowed their way down the misty lake.

The sound of the paddles hitting the water was the only thing strumming through their ears.

Ji Ah let out silent tears as she had an arm around Sara, who only looked down at her hands.

Beomgyu's gaze fell on them and then turned his head to look at Lei, whose eyes were barely open.

She had lost more blood than he had.

Her lips were pale and her breathing a little hurried. There was sweat on her forehead and goosebumps on her skin. Her head was laid back against the seat as she stared up at the sky with a tired gaze.

Beomgyu couldn't help but look at the sky as well, seeing the hues of pink, yellow, orange and purple.

He felt tears in his eyes as he witnessed the sunrise he previously had chosen to only observe once a year.

He couldn't be gladder to see it again.

Still, he contained his tears, and continued rowing.

He knew where to go, and he wasn't going to celebrate until they arrived.

"You're all going to go home. Your families will all be happy to see you. And all of this will be over." He comforted quietly as a tear slipped from his eye and fell down his cheek.

Beomgyu gave them all a small smile to which they all responded the same way.

He felt a small weight against his leg, and looked down at Lei, who laid her head softly against his thigh.

****

Without realizing, they finally made it to the place Beomgyu and Jun had previously marked.

Lisa was more agile now, compared to the adults, as her and the kids were the only ones not injured.

She climbed off first and then Beomgyu did as well, and they both pulled the boat closer to the ground.

The two little girls were quick to hop off and Beomgyu and Lisa got back on to get Lei out.

"We're here, Lei." Beomgyu said softly as he tapped Lei's cheek carefully.

Lei's eyes stayed closed, making Beomgyu's heart raise a little.

"Lei?" He called out quietly as he tapped her cheek again.

From getting no response, Beomgyu's hands start to shake.

"Hey, we're here. You need to wake up, Hawaii." He said frailly as he placed his hand on the nape of her neck.

She's so cold. Why is she so cold?

Tears weld up in his eyes again as he continued to tap her cheek.

The girls watched him as they held each other again.

They stared in fear at Lei, who continued to be unresponsive.

"Lisa, help me get her on my back."

Lisa stayed silent for a few seconds and hesitated in her spot.