Chapter 25

Dipper couldn't hide away from the stare. It was sharp and hard and angry.

"Captain, I-I know it looks bad-"

"Looks bad?" Bill hissed. "My damn ship is gone and so is my crew!"

Dipper swallowed the thick ball in her throat, only for it to sink down into her stomach. Fuck he's royally pissed. Just as much as she thought he would be. This was not part of the plan...

"What plan?" 

Double fuck. Dipper froze and her hands immediately flew to her mouth. Her face blanched and her eyes went wide. She did not mean to say that out loud. With everything going on in her head, that wasn't what she wanted her captain to hear. Why was that the only thing that had to come out?

"Pinetree."

She opened her mouth to speak but the glittering blade of a sword pointed at her throat stopped her before a single word could come out.

"You WILL tell me what the hell happened to my ship and crew, or you will regret asking for my help that day!"

Dipper trembled. Her body was stiff and it was like she couldn't breathe. Nervousness and terror rolled off in droves and her wide eyes were entranced by the narrow daggered stare of the captain and weren't able to look away. Bill got impatient at the lack of response and pushed his sword closer against her, drawing a drop of blood that trickled down her neck.

"Answer now." He demanded.

Dipper could only close her mouth and gave what was quite possibly the slowest nod of her life. Bill held the sword against her neck for a while before removing it, but not putting it away.

Dipper coughed harshly and rubbed the wounded area, tears sprung to her eyes. She took notice of the weapon resting at the Captain's side and eyed it very carefully. Dipper hand one chance. One. It was a warning and a promise that if the answer she gave wasn't honest or was to his satisfaction, it was going to be her last words ever spoken.

Dipper gripped her arm and dug her nails deep into her skin. She was trying to stop the trembling by distracting her senses to focus on the pain rather than the fear that coursed through her. She took a deep breath and looked Bill in the eyes once more before starting.

"My-My sincerest apologies, Captain. In my paranoia and distress, I took charge and urged another crew member to gather those who were left on shore to head back to the ship and set sail at the red smoke signal."

'I can't expose that Pyronica helped me. I won't let her be punished because of my stupid decision. I won't.' Dipper swore to herself that she will take her name to the grave.

Bill's foot tapped impatiently against the dock. The voices of angry men behind them were getting closer and closer to their location with each passing second. Dipper could hear her heart go in time with the Captain's pocket watch.

Tick tock tick tock.

She needed to finish and hide. Fast!

"With my calculations, we were to arrive on the ship before it had gotten too far from the dock and away by the time guards caught up to us. This carelessness of mine has got us in a predicament that shouldn't have happened. This was-"

Dipper gulped. There was a great wave of overflowing shame at her failure that heated up her cheeks, flushing them in a red hue. Her head was foggy and it felt like everything was spinning. Her throat clogged once more in regret. Tears sprung at the corners of her eyes, but they didn't fall. She didn't think that they deserve to fall. If her grunkle could see her now-no. He would understand. Maybe.