Chapter 61: Scott POV

Start from the beginning

Erin laughed again. "Colder...wow you really cannot shake the ice thing, can you?"

I began checking behind every strangely monotone piece of furniture, behind every corner, even up the fireplace. Still the same answer from my sister.

"Cold." She snickered again.

I was starting to get annoyed, despite my heart pounding against my chest as if it were a lion trying to escape a cage. In this case, the cage was my ribcage. I started to head for the other end of the room.

"Ah...he finally gets the hang of it. You're getting warmer-" Her voice trailed off in a hiss that sent shivers running up my spine, immediately reminding me of the god torturing her.

I started walking faster to the door opposite me. I strangely couldn't remember which room this door led to- but that didn't matter. I was getting closer, hearing Erin chant 'warmer' as I neared it. I slowed down a few feet away, anticipation practically filling my very bones as I reached out for the doorknob-

"BOO!" Someone shouted as a small person jumped into my arms. I nearly hit the ceiling as I let out a startled shout, my vision covered in white, frizzy hair. I felt arms wrap around my neck, a force knocking me backwards. I heard giggling as I looked down, my eyes wide and my face still contorted in shock. A face looked up at me, one that I recognized well.

Erin's face was scrunched up in a sort of contagious joy, her eyes alight with excitement, blue and normal. "E-Erin?" I stuttered, stumbling over my words, stunned.

Erin laughed again. "Who else would it be, silly?" she asked, still hanging off my neck, her wings flaring behind her. She let go of me, backing up a step and covering her mouth as she erupted into more giggling.

I watched her for a moment, warmth seemingly flooding the room, casting out the dimness and greys and my face split into a smile as well and I joined in her laughing. I went to grab her hand, wanting to feel the comfort of the callouses along her palms, something I hadn't felt for a while.

As I slid my hand into hers, she tensed strangely, her expression freezing mid-laugh. I frowned, as her hand where I touched began to shift gold, slowly growing up her arm and slowly consuming her forearm... I took several steps backwards, watching as the girl turned to gold in front of my eyes.

"Wha-" I started as she became a completely statue. I took a few more steps toward her, my eyes widening as I touched the side of her face, still frozen in a laugh. But this times as my fingertips brushed her cheek, the statue of Erin began to crumble to dust, beginning with the side of her face I had touched. Her now golden features crumbled away, starting down her neck. One of her wings cracked and fell to the floor with a heavy thud, the gold denting before also crumbling to ashes.

Soon, she was a pile of dust on the floor. Horror flooded my body as I realized what I had down, sweat dripping down my face again and tears stinging the corner of my eyes. Images flashed in front of me, at the time seeming normal. Fire. Lots of fire. It consumed buildings and the beanstalk of Gilded Helianthia. The oceans drying, the Mezalean Matrel Palace crumbling to pieces- I hit the floor, about to scream when-

I sat straight up in bed, my voice strained from a scream, drenched in cold sweat.

My chest heaved, as it hit me that it had been a dream...not real...a dream. I hardly noticed as someone sat down in front of me. "Scott!? Scott, what is it?"

Jimmy's voice seemed distant as I went over and over what happened in my dream, the little details from it slipping away. It took me a moment to realize I was shaking.