Chapter 21: Grand Hunt (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Rhaenyra wore a mix of strong and feminine elements. The color of the outer tunic is a soft gray, but the weave of the fabric gives off a sheen. On the front, there were layered petal-like dark red and gold appliques that extend down to the bottom of the tunic, on the sleeves, and the back at the waist. The appliques had a gray border layer around them, the short sleeves were wide, stiff, and open. The collar is a thin mandarin that is trimmed with dark red piping. The front closures are ball-shaped gold shank buttons. Under her tunic, she wore a long sleeve dark red shirt with a woven texture with a gold line running down the sleeve with gold embroidery at the cuff. She also wore a long leather belt, trousers, boots, gloves, gold stud earrings, and a ring. Why must it always be about you? Don't you even know how I feel? She noticed Aeonar glancing in her direction, a hint of resentment in her eyes. I stood up for you for a long time, brother. So why aren't you sticking up for me this time?

The Kingswood ― Royal pavilion...

Within the royal pavilion, Rhaenyra sees the noble ladies converging over Aeonar. Possibly gossiping nonsense into his ears as they did with her for months. Alicent was with them as well, occasionally bouncing Jaehaerys on her lap. For a two-year-old, her nephew was surprisingly well-behaved. Some of the nobles often fawned over the young prince. She glanced to her right and noticed her father glancing in her direction, along with the wandering eyes of Lord Jason Lannister. There was an aura about the Lord of Casterly Rock that bothered the Targaryen princess, so she simply avoided them.

"So it was true that Lady Johanna was abducted?" Ciera Lannister inquired. "But we last heard she was on one of Lord Swann's ships―"

"Through the Stepstones, yes, my lady," Aeonar confirmed. "Once my spies discovered what the Triarchy had in store for her, it was imperative my men lead an expedition to get her out of there and bring her home."

"My word, what were those savages planning to do to her?"

"Unpleasant as it sounds, but upon interrogation, we learned they planned to sell Lady Johanna to a pillow-house in Lys."

"By the Gods," Joslyn Redwyne gasped. "At least we heard she's made it back home safe and sound."

"Yes, my lady. We weren't going to allow a woman like her to suffer such a fate. Doesn't matter which house anyone is born into; the crown will not abandon one of its own."

Larys, limping over with only his cane to support him, stood over them. "Mind if I join you?" he asked. "I fear the gods did not make me for hunting."

"But of course. Please join us," Alicent nodded. She turned to Aeonar. "My love, this is Larys Strong, second son of our Master of Laws Lord Lyonel. "

"Yes, I know who he is," Aeonar replied. "Please be seated. You must be uncomfortable having to stand in your condition."

"I thank you, my prince."

"My lord husband says that no king has even been able to tame the Stepstones for long," Lynesse Hightower gossiped. "It's an inhospitable place suited only for savages."

"Perhaps the prince might offer some insight?" Ciera inquired. "You were, after all, at the Stepstones for some time."

Aeonar hummed. He noticed Rhaenyra nearby but swiftly redirected his attention to the Lannister noblewoman. "Each island chain was notorious for being a haven for pirates throughout the years, often raiding merchant ships passing through the Narrow Sea. This can affect trade routes, which therefore triggers an economic ripple effect not just throughout the Free Cities but across the Seven Kingdoms as well. Had the Triarchy not simply increased the passage tolls and attacked one of our ships in the first place, we might never have needed to retaliate."