Chapter Fifty-Eight

2.3k words

Distract the Narcissist

Luke's POV
Once I realized what I was doing probably wasn't the best decision, it was too late. I approached my Father and the Chancellor. I heard small bits of their conversation before they both ended it and turned their eyes to me. They were talking about Aunt Padmé's ball, and it sounds like the devil will be attending.

The Chancellor eyed me up and down with a sick smile I had hoped to never see, he's already dead in my time, but I know the impact he will have on my Fathers change. That's enough to make me despise him to my very core and I would kill him right now if I believed I could. Only one person is truly capable and strong enough though — and he's standing right next to me.

But he won't kill him, he thinks too highly of him. If only I can sway his opinion before he falls to his knees. "Yes?" Anakin looked at me with confusion and annoyance.

I cleared my throat and avoided eye contact with Palpatine who I know is waiting for me to introduce myself, "I..." did not think this through, "Was wondering," I continued to stutter, "If you're ready for our lunch." I finished quickly, hating myself for not thinking of something better. I probably looked crazy right now. But I couldn't tell him that the reason I was interrupting is because I wanted to get him away from the man who will corrupt him and ruin all of our lives.

He furrowed his brows in confusion, "Lunch? We were never—"

"Did Master Yoda forget to tell you?" I interrupted with an awkward laugh, "He wanted us to have lunch so we could get to know each other better."

"He didn't," He sighed and looked down at his comlink to check the time, "It's a little early for lunch Luke and I'm—"

"Breakfast then," I said quickly, glancing at the Chancellor for a split second and noticing his menacing glare. It was almost like he knew what I was trying to do, "Please, I want us to get along and hopefully be friends, or at least gain some kind of mutual respect." I had to push that last part out even though it made me nauseous thinking about sitting down with him for an entire meal. But I'd rather he be in my company than his.

He looked hesitant for a moment and tapped his foot on the carpet as he thought, a habit that I too have, "Chancellor we'll pick up on this conversation another time, it was good seeing you though. Thank you for coming by."

"Of course Anakin," He placed his hand on my Fathers shoulder and it took everything in me not to take my lightsaber and cut it off, "I'll have to snatch you up for a breakfast soon as well." He cackled. Anakin joined with a light laugh and I joined as well, but mine was as fake as can be.

Palpatine went his separate way with his entourage following him, leaving Anakin and I alone, "Is the cafeteria okay with you?" I asked before pressing my lips in a tight line, I got myself into this and now I'm going to have to see it through, civilly.

"Yeah I'd rather not be too far from (y/n) in her condition, in case she needs something," He mumbled as he awkwardly scratched the back of his head. He cares for her, but he hates showing it, it's like he thinks showing emotions makes him weak.

"Understandable,"  I began to walk and he followed by my side. I caught him glaring at me a few times during the walk, an untrusting glare. I too gave him the same eye when he wasn't looking — this is gonna be an eventful breakfast.