Chapter Ten

2.1k words

A Promise

(Y/n)'s POV
"So what's in the box?" I asked Master Skywalker as we walked side by side towards the docking area where we were told to meet Senator Amidala. I had my two bags packed, one in each hand, and he had one bag over his shoulder with a closed black box in his hands. It was pretty too and had designs made out of glass on the outside.

He side-eyed me, "Don't worry about it." He mumbled before looking straight ahead at our ship. We still had a small distance to go, but I could already make out the silhouette of what I suspected to be the Senator, her clothes were more extravagant than the rest around her. I wonder if she knows that she's meant to be inconspicuous, because bright orange is definitely not the proper color for that.

Deciding to tease him, I nudged his shoulder, "Is it for the Senator?" I batted my lashes, earning me another side glance, this one filled with more irritation than the last, "I saw how you reacted when her name was mentioned, does someone have a crush?"

He breathed a scoff that turned into a laugh as he fully turned his head to look down at me, "No this is not for her and no I don't have a crush on her. I'm just not thrilled about spending time around her since we don't get along very well - she happens to hate me."

I gasped in fake surprise, "She hates you? You? How can that be? You're so like-able." I said in a condescending tone, earning me harsh push against my shoulder with his and a mumbled 'shut the hell up.'

"Just be good and don't give her any reasons to give me a hard time, alright?" He said low as we approached the Senator who was in the middle of a conversation with her hand-maiden, a warm smile on her face.

"Yes Master," I responded as I stood tall and professional, showing that I really was excited to be on my first assignment in months.

As soon as the words left my lips, both women looked in our direction and the Senator smiled at me, "Hi you must be one of my protectors," She held her hand out, which I politely accepted, "It's so nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too Senator, I'm Padawan (y/l/n), assigned to protect you alongside-"

"I know who he is," She cut me off as she shot him a side-glance, "Hello Ani." Her tone was dripping with hostility as she released my hand and picked up her own bag from the floor before he could. I'm curious as to what he did to earn such malice from a woman who seems so sweet.

"Senator," He addressed her with a sigh as he followed her up the ramp, completely avoiding eye contact with her as I strutted by his side.

"Ani, that's so cute I think I might start calling you that," I teased as he closed the ramp behind us and dropped his bag onto the metal floor.

He then pointed at me with his gloved finger, nearly poking my nose, "Don't even think about it, it makes me feel like a damn child." He snapped, "I'm Master, Master Skywalker, or Anakin to you." He dropped his hand and walked past me to get to the pilot seat. The Senator walked to the back of the cockpit with her hand-maiden to put their stuff down.

I raised a brow as I dropped my bags on the floor next to his, "You'll let me call you by your first name?" Not many Masters would allow that, it seemed strange to me.