Chapter Fourteen

3.3k words

A Presence

(Y/n)'s POV
Now that I was able to enjoy the beauty of where we were, I was in awe, starstruck. It was the dead of night so I wasn't able to see the sunlight glisten on the dewy strings of grass or on the petals of the vibrant flowers. But the terrain that surrounded the lake house was flooded with fireflies that gave the grassy plane an ominous, yet beautiful glow. And far off in the distance was a forest, but I couldn't see anything passed the tree line.

I breathed in the fresh air as I walked around the house, taking in every window and door that I could see. I get why he wants me to do this, it is good to know your surroundings. But at the same time, what's the point? We'll know their there, but it's not like we can watch every door and window at once. If an intruder wants to come in, there's no doubt they'll get in, it's inevitable - all that matters is that we're alert and prepared to protect the Senator when or if that happens.

I believe the 'learn your terrain' part of a mission is better equip for assignments that don't include protection like this one, but more for actual battles or rescue missions.

But in order to not hear an annoying lecture from him just because I expressed my opinion - I said yes with a smile on my face. And I also may have said yes because I wanted a small piece of freedom to explore the area without him watching me like a hawk.

Normally I'd appreciate being looked after by my Master, it's a sweet experience to be cared about by someone — but I'm not sure if he's looking after me because he actually cares or if it's because he doesn't trust me not to fall into a snake pit or something and ruin his reputation by dying under his watch.

I sighed heavily as I stopped in the same place I had started—meaning I already made an entire lap around the large house—and looked up at the stars. I've seen stars more often than I've seen my own reflection, yet I never get tired of them. Master Ti once told me that each star represents a departed soul and it's the ones that shine brighter that belong to those who owned a place in our hearts. Which was comforting to think about when my eyes landed on a single star that outshined the rest.

"I miss you." I whispered, wondering if there was a possibility she could hear me, "And I know I promised you I'd be on my best behavior for my new Master, but he's making it real hard." I rolled my eyes to myself, "Like really, I might end up killing him," I joked, "Or he'll kill me - it'll be either one, that's the only way I see this ending."

I didn't expect a response, I'd be crazy to — I just enjoyed talking and hoping she's somewhere listening to my little rant. And I know exactly what she'd want to say to me too, 'be the bigger person' or 'have patience'.

The cold air whipped around me, raising both my cloak and my hair in the breeze - and that's when I sensed it, an unfamiliar presence was close by. On instinct, I dropped my gaze down to the forest and stood frozen in place; the only thing I could hear was the wind rustling in the bushes and trees, along with the sound of the water in the lake moving calmly.

I couldn't see anyone or anything, but I could feel something, although I wasn't quite sure what it was. Like I said, it was unfamiliar, yet familiar at the same time - confusing I know, but that's the only way I know how to describe it.