Chapter XXXIII: The Dark

author's note: hi babes, i know it might be a bit confusing if you've already read this but i recommend going to the chapter before this and reading it again so it makes more sense

author's note: hi babes, i know it might be a bit confusing if you've already read this but i recommend going to the chapter before this and reading it again so it makes more sense. love you all! and if you're still confused just comment right here and i'll explain it better

              I leaned my head against the wall next to Milo's bed as I looked around. The only thing I could see was Vito's eyes as they glowed in the dark. I had never been scared of the dark, but in this moment I felt more fear than I ever had.

             Through the silence the sound of gunshots erupted deafeningly but I couldn't tell where they were coming from. I felt a wave of nausea and lightheadedness come over me. Milo had woken up and let out a small whimper. Vito's head shot to the other side of the room, near the door. I quickly started to think of what to do.

              I had to get to Santiago's office where he had a dial up phone for emergencies and a gun. I just hoped that Vito knew how to guide me there. The gunshots sounded far enough away that they weren't in the general vicinity.

           I got onto my knees so I was close to Milo.

           "I need you to lock the door and get under the bed. Under no circumstance do you leave, okay?" I whispered, trying to keep my voice even.

           "Yes." Milo whispered back.

           "Vito, take me to Santiago's office." I whispered low enough that only Vito could hear and hoped to God he understood me. I exited Milo's room and waited until I heard him lock it behind me.

             Vito pushed himself against my body so I could follow him and started to lead me through the pitch black hallways. It was hard to track how long it was taking as I could only hear the quiet sound of my own steps. After a little more walking and a harsh turn Vito came to a complete stop. I felt along the wall until I found the door. I could now only see the faint shapes of the room. I locked the door and then made my way to the desk, feeling along it until I found the rotary phone.

             I typed in Santiago's number and waited, to my relief I heard it ring. When the last ring ran out my heart sank further than it already had. Who else did I know the number of. Mariana.

             I typed in her number and she answered after the second ring. "Santiago? Why are you calling me from the landline?"

       "It's me. I need help, send anyone. I don't care who but we're in danger. The power is out, the service is out and there's someone with a gun in the house." I whispered quickly, my lips trying to catch up with the words in my head.

          "I'm coming, I'll call Santiago's father. You'll be fine, just hide until we get there. The streets are flooded." Mariana's voice dropped down as she became deathly serious.