Chapter XXII: Rehearsal Dinner

✧

       I woke to movement. Cold shivers overwhelmed my body as arms unwrapped themselves from my body. The next thing I felt was soreness as I came further out of sleep. When I finally opened my eyes they locked with Santiago's as he watched over me with a content smile.

     "You're so creepy." I mumbled, closing my eyes.

     "Good morning." His voice was quite chipper. "Actually, wonderful morning to you." 

     I sighed, and opened my eyes to watch him. It took everything in me not to avert my eye contact. I didn't know how things would be now and my ability to accept affection was lacking. My last relationship was at the end of my teens and he didn't exactly love me. I was more of an accessory to him.

      "How do you feel?" Santiago leaned down and grabbed my chin softly before landing a kiss on my lips. The action made my stomach flutter. Somehow he made me even more nervous after our night together.

      "My body hurts." I mean mugged him as he pulled away.

      "I don't like to lie so I can't exactly say I'm sorry. But I can run you a bath." Santiago laughed whole-heartedly. 

      I rolled my eyes and tried my hardest not to laugh, I couldn't give him that kind of satisfaction. "I would appreciate that... And can you check on Milo?" 

     Santiago nodded, leaning forward to kiss me one last time. "Of course." 

     The minute he got dressed and left, a large smile made its way onto my face. I felt okay, I felt good. Santiago had a way of making me feel appreciated even if he wasn't aware. He was different. 

      The rest of the morning went smoothly, Milo was extra chipper because it was raining again. He wanted to play in the rain and Santiago seemed to also love the idea. But I had to distract him with his favorite cartoon. The possibility of Milo getting sick put me on edge.

       "The rehearsal dinner is later today." Santiago stated blandly as he fixed Milo and I's plates. 

       Milo sat contently in my lap as he watched the ran hit the lawn. The earthy air seeped into the kitchen from the singular open window. 

       "Are we supposed to go?" I didn't exactly oppose but I wanted to feel comfortable taking Milo. Santiago slid our plates in front of us.

       "Technically, but we don't have to do anything." Santiago smiled at Milo and I, coming to sit next to us.

        "Milo, do you want to go out today?" I spoke softly, lifting a forkful of pancakes to Santiago's mouth. He seemed quite happy with my action. 

         Milo thought for a moment his head tilting like a puppy before he nodded. His attention span quickly shifted to his food as I set him in the chair beside me.