Chapter XXVIII: Red

✧

             "You've been out for two weeks." Santiago admitted.

             "Two weeks?!" My voice rasped out in shock. I shot up before realizing Milo was still fast asleep again my chest.

              Santiago nodded solemnly. "I'm so sorry." 

              A frown found its way onto my face, Santiago was sitting uncomfortably straight in the arm chair next to the hospital bed. But by now that I was more conscious it was clear I wasn't in a hospital. The room I was kept in looked more like a bedroom with antique wall paper and french style furniture. That's all Santiago had told me so far, that we were in France. 

            "This isn't your fault." I argued causing Santiago to look away from me guilty.

             Santiago didn't respond to that, instead he changed the subject.

             "Milo has been inseparable from you." Santiago paused as if remembering something. "Blue... He talked." 

              Nothing could describe the feeling that ran through my body as the magnitude of Santiago's words processed. Milo talked for the first time and I didn't witness it. But now that I thought back it made sense, I felt like there had been two people talking to me while I was in my coma. It just didn't make the most sense so I assumed I imagined it.

            "Wh- What did he say?" Even If I could take a bit better since I woke up, I still struggled with getting my words out in an orderly function.

            "He called out for you when I pulled you from the car." Santiago looked away from my eyes and down to Milo.

             He called out to me? I knew Milo was bonded to me but I never expected he would speak for me. The thought warmed my heart. I moved my hand to smooth his hair, even in his sleep he melted into my touch. 

            "We still need to get back." I moved my eyes to Santiago's. "Don't we?"

            "We do, but only when you're healed. The doctor's said you should be fine within two days but I want to make it three." 

            "Santiago, we can leave right now. I feel fine and it's not safe to be here right now." I reasoned, my tone grim.

            "I know, but I can't risk your condition getting bad again." Santiago ran a hand down his face. I could almost feel how stressed he was through the air. 

            "Santi, go rest. I'll be fine." I spoke as Milo began to stir.

             Santiago stared at me like I was crazy. 

             I smacked my teeth at him. "Never mind then.."

             I closed my eyes and basked in the silence of the room. When I opened them again I let them trail from a sleeping Santiago to the window. The view consisted of thin tall trees with pale leaves but the ground was covered in darkened red ones. The sun was high in the clear blue sky. For once in my life I missed the high city buildings that obstructed much of the sky from below. I missed Santiago's home and me and Milo's small apartment with the rich people who would stare as we passed them. I missed Santiago's terrifying dog and his scarily sharp teeth. I missed the ease that Santiago had in the past. I missed home.