Chapter VI: Scare Tactics

✧

          I awoke at around five in the morning. Though it was later than I usually did, my crime-driven schedule was still apparent. My body wasn't aware of the sudden changes in my life. I stood up, walked to the bedroom window and watched stray cars pass by on the streets until I got the motivation to do something else. 

          I walked to the desktop computer in the small apartment's office and began clicking away. Within thirty minutes my brain was filled with various schools in the area. I had thought about it the night before but I wanted to get Milo in school whenever he was ready. I was even farther down the rabbit hole when a certain school caught my eye. It was a private school but looked pretty diverse. Which for the record could definitely be misleading. Schools loved to slap children of color onto the cover pages and offer no support when they actually had a large number of them. 

          But, what I could see was that the school had counseling that would be readily available to him. That would be a must considering what he's been through and how he communicates. My contentment slipped away in a matter of seconds, though, when my eyes found the tuition fee. I couldn't afford that.

          I leaned back in my chair before letting out a sigh. No matter how much I wanted to, there was no ignoring the fact that I would have to find a way to support Milo. No, I didn't just want to support him, I wanted to give him the best life possible. He deserved it. 

          Becoming Santiago's personal whore was looking real cute at the moment.

          I walked to the living room, the floor was cold against my feet. The sun had just risen, a pink shade still prominent in the sky. I jumped harshly when there was a knock at the door. The stark contrast from the previous silence was enough to frighten me. When I opened the door I gulped, even though I wasn't surprised as to who it was. Santiago looked down at me, a smirk growing on his face.

          "Good morning, you're up early. I wasn't sure what to expect." He greeted, looking me up and down. I was aware that I didn't look the best, still dressed in a large worn shirt and shorts. Santiago however was dressed in a clean fitted suit. 

          "I'm a morning person." I watched him wearily before moving to the side and letting him in.

          "I'm assuming Milo is still asleep?" He gestured in the direction of Milo's room. Only then did I see the sheet of paper in his hand.

          "Mhm." I hummed, moving over to the fridge. I could feel his eyes on me as I did so.

          "Probably for the best." He said and took a seat at the glass table by the window.

          I quirked my brow at him. He momentarily ignored my confusion, instead, he gestured for me to sit at the table with him. I quickly made a glass of water for myself and set it down on the table.