Chapter 16: Open Relationship

My heart sank as soon as I finished reading the entire text message of a familiar name. I felt my blood draining, breaking into chilling cold sweat as my heart pounded wildly in horror and disbelief. My hands kept trembling that I almost loosened my grip on my phone. I nervously looked at Laia and she was looking at the phone in my hand with an uncomfortable look on her face. She then looked at me as if she wanted to ask something, but still remained silent.

"D-Did you r-read the n-notification on m-m-my ph-phone?" I stammered, asking hesitantly.

"I did," she answered briefly, furrowing her eyes while looking away.

The confusion and guilt suddenly overwhelmed me as I hurriedly walked towards my wife and knelt before her, pulling her hands cupping it together. "D-Don't believe the message. It is impossible! Believe me... We've been apart for almost two years already. I've never heard anything from her after our breakup," I desperately explained to her, trying to defend myself, hoping to clarify the misunderstanding.

"Let's talk about it later. There are a lot of ears around us. Don't disgrace yourself like this," she responded assertively.

I looked around us and saw the people around the restaurant looking at us while whispering at one another. I'm not sure what they were all talking about, but I was sure it was not a good thing. Embarrassed by my words and actions, I hurriedly went back to my seat, contemplating the things I did.

Laia acted as if nothing happened. I felt weird as to why I desperately tried to explain to her that it was not like she thinks it is. I can never win an argument against a lawyer. I felt guilty, but I knew for myself that I didn't do anything wrong.

Luckily, my phone rang suddenly and it was from my mother. I felt kind of relieved from the awkwardness between Laia and me.

"Hi, Mom! How's Dad?" I greeted as soon as I accepted the call.

Laia suddenly glanced at me hearing my words. Her expression suddenly changed from uncomfortable to curious. I wanted to put the phone in speaker mode for her to hear our conversation, but we are in public so I couldn't do so.

"Az... Your father will be discharged from the hospital today. The doctors said he's already in good condition, we just need to observe if any symptoms occur suddenly in the next few days," my mother replied in a hoarse voice.

"Really?! It's a relief then! Haven't you slept properly, Mom? Your voice sounds hoarse. Should I pick you guys up? I'll just excuse myself from work tomorrow," I asked in worry.

"Tsk! Who would be able to sleep properly in the hospital, huh? You don't need to pick us up. Your uncle is already here to bring us home. You still have to work tomorrow. Don't overwork yourself," she rattled.

"Okay, Mom! Rest well later... I'll try to visit again on the weekend to check on you both."

"Will you be able to bring your girlfriend again? I felt really embarrassed that I wasn't able to feed her with the food we were preparing," she asked with an anticipating tone.

Laia is my wife—I wanted to correct my mom, but I couldn't, knowing how she can become hysterical if she suddenly learns about my hidden marriage. I don't want them to be stuck up in the hospital due to another shock.

"I... I'm not sure if Laia would accept my invitation again, Mom. I'll ask her later."

Laia's brows furrowed in confusion, hearing her name from my mouth.

"Why did you sound hesitant? Did you two have an argument?" she asked worriedly.

I felt my heart sink once again. I wanted to tell her the situation and ask for advice, but I couldn't. I felt like crying, but did my best to not show it in front of my wife—I don't want Laia to make fun of me.